2.6.1 Letting just one specific student circumvent Paypal

2.6.1 Letting just one specific student circumvent Paypal

by Wendi Daniels -
Number of replies: 8
I am in "beta", and I need a couple of people to try my courses, at their leisure, while the program is up and running (as it is advertised on state board websites, so I can't just close it until all testers are done). So, I want to know how do I finagle the user profile so they are automatically enrolled in a course without having to go through paypal?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wendi Daniels

Re: 2.6.1 Letting just one specific student circumvent Paypal

by Derek Chirnside -

I had to Google this word Wendi.

-Derek

Finangle

verb
USinformal
  1. obtain by dishonest or devious means.
    "Ted attended all the football games he could finagle tickets for"
    • act in a dishonest or devious manner.
      "they wrangled and finagled over the fine points"
In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Wendi Daniels -
Sorry, in the United States to "finagle" something means to alter it in some way. I was unaware of any negative meaning of the word until now, as I guess I've heard of it only in the slang. "I'm trying to finagle the zipper on my back pack so the darn thing will open." "How do I finagle the latch on the gate...it doesn't seem to want to work." No deception or malice involved, Derek, as evidenced by the context of wanting to let a few people take the course for free. So, to reiterate, do you know how I alter the system for just one or two specific people to let them take the course for free?

by Wendi Daniels -
I am trying to learn about the enrolment key, but I am unclear. Can I make it so that they need EITHER the enrolment key OR payment?It seems that the system is set up so that they would still need both.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If there are only a couple of students, why not manually enrol them into the course yourself?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Wendi Daniels -
I can't see how to do that without forcing them to still go through paypal.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Create the user yourself from Site admin>Users>Accounts>Add a new user (if they don't already exist on the system) and then go into your course and from Course administration>Users>Enrolled users, add them manually to the course. 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Wendi Daniels -
That does not seem to bypass paypal. Is there any way to bypass paypal without making an enrollment key?

by Larry Lippke -

Wendi,

In every course that we offer using PayPal, we also urge the teachers to offer self-enrollment using an enrollment key in addition to the PayPal enrollment.  When students try to enroll in the course, they are offered both routes into the course.  If they are able to enter a correct enrollment key, they are not required to enter any payment information.

We do this to provide a back door for selected students.  For example, a teacher may also be offering F2F workshops and wants to give those participants access to the course.  Or, the teacher wants people to test the course.  By giving those selected people the enrollment key, the teacher is able to give them "free" access to the course.

Simply provide both PayPal and Self-Enrollment (with enrollment key) as enrollment methods.  Works great!

Larry