General developer forum

Link Notes to Parents Role

Picture of Nelson Maran
Link Notes to Parents Role

Hello everybody. I'm in charge of the Moodle platform for a high school in my town. We wanted Parents to be able to track their children work, grades and progress within courses and we've already set up the Mentees block for them. Everything's working like a charm.

But there's one only thing I haven't managed to configure. I want Parents to be able to view the "Notes" section of their childrens' Profile. For example, a teacher writes a Note to a student within Personal context telling the student he should study more the next quarter. We want Parents to see these Notes. 

I activated the viewnotes and manage permissions inside the Parent Role but nothing shows up. Could it be because Parent role is set up to work in the User context? 

If a Parent can see the student Messages, Grades and even Blog entries, what should I do to add the "Notes" section?

I attached a screen cap where I marked the Notes menu I see as a Teacher or Admin, but when I enter as a Parent, in the child's Profile, this option is gone.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Mary Cooch
Re: Link Notes to Parents Role
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Hello there. I'm not sure how to get this working because it doesn't actually relate to the student but to the teacher (and so is even less to do with a parent smile) When a teacher writes a personal 'note' the student cannot see it; it is a note just for the teacher himself. In the course context, other teachers in the course could see the note but again the student would not be able to see it.  I presume you have seen Notes?  Even if you could get the capabilities correct, I am not sure your parent would be able to see notes written in the personal context by the teacher about their child. But I'm not an expert on notes- let's see which suggestions others havesmile

Picture of Nelson Maran

Oh I see. That clears everything up for me. Thanks a lot. Now, do you think I could use any other function to get that communication between teachers and parents now that Notes is definitely excluded?

Martin Dougiamas
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQPlugin developersTesters

It would be a good function to add properly, for sure.  I can imagine a new block called "Parent communication" for doing this that could show on student user profiles for teachers to enter messages, and the parents/mentees would also see there as well as on My Moodle.  Extra points for integrating this into the mobile app so it can all be done via phone.

In the meantime you could just use ordinary Messaging (assumes the teacher knows who the parents are for each student).

Picture of dawn alderson

Hi, all

could always set up a tracker item...yes...that type of threeway communication across schools....is done by email as far as I am aware, in the main, not so much with the messaging service-in my experience of parenting a child in secondary with Moodle as LMS. :0)

cheers,

Dawn

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Nelson Maran

Yes, I think that (The Parental Block) would be a really useful tool. Is there a place to send these suggestions for developers or something like that? Luckily someone will appreciate the idea and take note for future versions of Moodle 

Picture of dawn alderson

Hi all,

Have been mulling over this.  I did some research way back involving parents observing pupil activity via DVDs sent home that showed their children during sessions.  It was hard to ignore in their feedback, how grateful they were to have had an insight that provided for an holistic view of their child' education. 

With that in mind, a new block labeled 'Parent communication' sounds interesting.  Although, this does infer parents would be able to communicate too-ensuring a three-way communication (if pupil were to have access too) in an ideal world.  Other than that, having the mentees block-contents, messages, grades and blog entries /functionality/capabilites and  notes section would certainly be on the right track, not least in terms of ease of access to a child's holistic education.  Prob need a diff name if parents do not have the permissions to contirbute, something like: Parent block; Parent notification block; Parent portal; and so on.

@Nelson, 'Is there a place to send these sugg for developers or something like that?

Well, you have done that here.  The next step would be to offer to code it up :0) and put it in Tracker.

Otherwise others can also offer to do so.  MD, if you decide to, I am happy to look at it too.

Really, great suggestion, so thanks Nelson for that.

Dawn       

Average of ratings: -