Thanks for the reply...
I asked our goto network guy to look at this and supplied some documentation and history of what I tried. The links I sent him had '25' in the url so the link you provided is to a document I didn't find. I think I am seeing a pattern; the 26 in the url is for moodle version 2.6, Ha.
I have tried lots of value combinations but hadn't hit on the right combination yet. I was thinking maybe it is a certificate issue or something like that; that he would have a better chance of catching.
I will look over the document to see if I notice any changes from the pages I was looking at...
The LDAP form doesn't look that bad so I am surprised this is being such a painful task. I'm guessing like everything else the answer to success will be simple; once found.