Moodle 2.6.2 & MSSQL2008

Moodle 2.6.2 & MSSQL2008

by Emma Mullen -
Number of replies: 8

Hi,

I currently have moodle installed on a Windows 2003 server and a MSSQL 2005 database and I am planning to upgrade moodle to version 2.6.2 and also upgrading to MSSQL 2008 . I have had a search through the forums but I cannot seem to find confirmation that Moodle 2.6.2 is compatible with MSSQL 2008. I can see some users have got it to run with this version but does anyone have any information on if there are any know issues with this or if it has been tested with this?

Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emma Mullen

Re: Moodle 2.6.2 & MSSQL2008

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

If you use MSSQL 2008 R2 then you should be ok. I've successfully managed to upgrade a Moodle 2.0 site on MSSQL 2005 to Moodle 2.6 on MSSQL 2008 R2.

What driver are you using to connect PHP to MSSQL? FreeTDS or the Microsoft SQL Server Driver for PHP?

So, to be safe first try upgrading a COPY of your production site to 2008 R2. Then test the upgraded site for a while. If everything is ok then upgrade the production site.

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Johnny Lo -

I know it is an old post. I'm in similar situation where I am to upgrade my MSSQL database from 2005 to 2008. Any suggestion on the best procedure? Full backup and Restore? Or use the migration tool inside Moodle? I am upgrade Moodle from 2.6 to 2.8 after database upgrade.

In reply to Johnny Lo

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Use the Upgrade Advisor function inside SQL Server check your 2005 database.

Then use the upgrade option that's built into 2008 to upgrade the database from 2005 to 2008.

Upgrading to MSSQL 2008 R2 would be more secure.

by Johnny Lo -

There are many other databases on the 2005 server that I don't own.  As a matter of fact, I have run Restore on the 2008 server. However, when I tried to access the site again, it started installing moodle and failed with a System error.

Installation - Moodle 2.6.11 (Build: 20150511)

Debug info: SQLState: 42000<br>
Error Code: 262<br>
Message: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server][SQL Server]CREATE TABLE permission denied in database 'moodle01'.

There is no change in database name, user name and password. The only config change is the SQL server name. The fact that it started installation meant it connected and login to the SQL server successfully. However, it looks like it is trying to create new table in the database instead of using the one I restored. Am I missing something after Restore?
In reply to Johnny Lo

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

What $CFG->dbtype are you using?

Temporarily make the $CFG->dbuser the DBO on the 2008 database and see if you can then connect Moodle to the database. What happens?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Johnny Lo -

It works! I checked the original user setting again after reading your post. Apparently I missed it when I recreated the user. Thanks!