Role needs all courses in a category

Role needs all courses in a category

by Bobby Deetz -
Number of replies: 7

Hello,

I'm a total newbie to Moodle. I have created a custom role based upon Manager in Moodle 2.6 so that I can tweak the permissions. This new role is assigned in the context of 1 category. I see that this works in that the role can access those sites - but only if someone sends a direct link. I need the courses that person is responsible for managing to be listed somewhere. I do not want them enrolled in the courses cause they are not participating. I have the courses block turned off as we do not want people to see all courses in our site. I am only using the vanilla blocks since I'm new and do not have help with administration. I have navigation turned on for my front page after login which shows people only the courses they are enrolled in. I thought I found the ability to allow for this manager role to add the courses block, but it didn't seem to do anything. I tried to search the forums but can't find another instance of this question. I'm sure someone has wanted this before so there must be a way. Thanks so much for any ideas. 

- Bobby

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bobby Deetz

Re: Role needs all courses in a category

by Bobby Deetz -

I do see that I can allow the courses block to be added on the "My Home" page which gives me the search and the "request course" feature which I wanted. But I only want the courses inside a particular category to display for this manager, not all courses. So it still doesn't totally meet my needs. Ideas?

In reply to Bobby Deetz

by Perry Way -

That can be accomplished by making someone a site-wide Manager role. Not sure how to make your role a site-wide-capable role. Check out the menu path:

In reply to Perry Way

by Bobby Deetz -

Thanks Perry,

I need to make my managers "Program Chairs" where they really only have control and visibility inside their programs. I am just lost trying to make this happen with Moodle out-of-the-box. 

Thanks for writing though,

Bobby

In reply to Bobby Deetz

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just as a suggestion - have you looked at http://www.iomad.org/what-is-iomad/ ? It does what you need without having to tweak Moodle roles.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Bobby Deetz -

Thanks Mary,

I will look at it. But our timeline is pretty tight with very little resources. We go live in July to start rebuilding old courses from a very broken Moodle 1.9 and another broken 2.3. My sysadmin knows very little about Moodle and we have no developer. It's a risky situation already which is why I am trying to stay as close to vanilla as possible. I appreciate the links. We are an arts college and certainly want a non-corporate solution. I'm just looking to give certain capabilities to certain folks. I thought it would be easier. It seems to have more to do with the displaying said courses than anything else. I was writing more here just as you posted:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=260426#p1128788

I was excited when you wrote. Your posts to everyone are always so informative. 

Thanks again,

Bobby

In reply to Bobby Deetz

by Robert Brenstein -
What you want basically is that normal users see only their own courses but certain folks should see complete but only specific categories, whereas admin and manager can see all. I don't think that plain vanilla Moodle can do that. You need to rethink the navigation/structure/access or do some code hacking. One approach could be to have two Moodle instances, one for administrative sites and one for teaching sites, for example. The overhead of having two instances is not much and gives you more flexibility to optimize site settings for their users. Also, enrolling those special users invisibly in the courses might bring you closer to your goal since they will have an explicit role but others won't see that.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I agree with Robert. You can't do this with standard Moodle and it's  something people have been wanting for a long time (hence the invention of features such as iomad.org) But is it absolutely essential that other categories/courses are hidden from them? They can't access them anyway.