Upgrade QuizPort (Moodle 1.9) to TaskChain (Moodle 2.x)

Upgrade QuizPort (Moodle 1.9) to TaskChain (Moodle 2.x)

by Gordon Bateson -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi everyone,
I have some important news. I have finished the initial versions of the scripts to upgrade from QuizPort (Moodle 1.9) to TaskChain (Moodle 2.x). Here are the steps you need to follow to do this upgrade.

1. backup your current Moodle database and Moodle data folder - VERY IMPORTANT !!
  2. if you are using Moodle 1.x then upgrade your site to Moodle 1.9 -> 2.2 -> 2.6
  3. install the latest version of TaskChain on your Moodle 2.x site
  4. install the latest version of QuizPort on your Moodle 2.x site

When you initiate the install of QuizPort on your Moodle 2.x site, it will detect that you have TaskChain installed and will begin to convert the QuizPort activities to TaskChain acitivties. This may take a long time (many hours) if you have a lot of QuizPorts. On one site I run, there are 2,100 QuizPorts continaing 9,000 QuizPort quizzes with 8,000 conditions and 170,000 quiz attempts. The conversion process took 4 hours on my notebook PC.

Before you upgrade, think carefully about files. If you don't do anything special, or you upgrade QuizPort to TaskChain on Moodle 2.0 - 2.2, then the files will be copied from the site/course files area to the separate and distinct file area for each TaskChain activity.

However, if you upgrade QuizPort to TaskChain on Moodle 2.3 or later, then you have the possibility of linking all your files to a single file repository, such as a folder on your server's hard disk. I encourage you to do this, as it simplifies the maintenance of your files.

The easiest method is to create a "File system" repository that allows Moodle to access to an exact copy of your Moodle 1.9 site files folder, and course files folders. As the QuizPort -> TaskChain migration proceeds, any files that are detected in the "File system" repository will be linked to from the TaskChain activities that use them.

Additionally, for people who purchased the QuizPort backup script, there is another way to migrate a single Moodle 1.9 QuizPort course. Simply backup the Moodle 1.9 course containing your QuizPorts and then restore it right into your Moodle 2.x site. You don't get the user data, such as the attempt reports, but you will get the QuizPort activities - converted to TaskChains, complete with the quizzes (=tasks) and their associated pre- and post-conditions.

Finally, for a safe and happy life, please try do NOT try out the upgrade first time on your live Moodle site. Instead, you should create a test server, and use a small sample first. when you are sure that it upgrades successfully, try the upgrade on a COPY of you live data. When that works and you have confirmed that the upgraded copy site works as expected, you can move that back to the live server.

Please let me know how you get on wide eyes

best regards
Gordon

P.S. A big THANK YOU to the Moodle Association of Japan, for sponsoring the development of these migration scripts through the MAJ Research and Development Grants for 2014. Many thanks indeed approve

Average of ratings: -