Operating System for Moodle

Linux - what kind of linux? 64 bit?

Windows?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Reggie Rivero

Re: Best Operating System for Moodle

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

people are using different flavors of Linux and Windows.

Usually for windows, it requires bit more  memory, most cases I have seen are using CentOS 64-Bit, as this operating system is widely available with 95%+ of webhosts. (This doesnt means it wont work on any other O/S).

If you are keeping database as MySQL, then Linux, if MS-SQL, then Windows.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you have a free choice then Linux will be much easier to configure and gives you more bang for your hardware. However, the overriding consideration if often what you can support.

Server Linuxes these days are generally 64 bit. Only consider using one of the "mainstream" distributions (e.g. Ubuntu, Centos) as you will then have the benefit of lots of other people's experience.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Reggie,

It doesn't matter. Use the one you best know.

by Scott Karren -

Reggie,

The best OS to use is the one that you and your IT group (if you have one) know the most about, are most comfortable with, and can troubleshoot the best.

I currently work in a Windows shop so I use Windows 2008 Datacenter Server as my OS.  The last company I worked for was a Solaris shop so I used the servers that they provided me (Sparcs running a version of Solaris that I can't remember right now.)

It's well and fine to say Linux or Unix are the best to use as far as performance goes (which I believe is true.) But it does absolutely nothing except add a steeper learning curve and a lot more frustration to use an OS that you know nothing about. It can be done but I don't recommend it when you are just starting out.

HTH

Scott

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Yes, "stick to what you know" is safe advice - for short term.

In the long term, Linux would be an investment, if you have the capacity. Read:
"How Munich switched 15,000 PCs from Windows to Linux"
http://www.linuxvoice.com/the-big-switch/

(found in /. http://linux.slashdot.org/story/14/05/09/1233212/the-man-behind-munichs-migration-of-15000-pcs-from-windows-to-linux )
Average of ratings: Useful (2)