New version of BTEC Advanced Grading method

New version of BTEC Advanced Grading method

by Marcus Green -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I have updated the BTEC advanced grading method code on github and incremented the version to beta status. Here are the modifications.

Changed drop down with criteria level for a text box. This was because previously it was limited to 6 levels, i.e. P1 to P6, M1 to M6 etc and some places have more levels than that. Adding more levels to the drop down would have been clumsy.

Added validation on save to check for duplicate level criteria and to check that a criteria leel fits the pattern (P, M or D followed by a number). Changed CSS to reveal the Xthat indicates you can delete a level during editing. Changed CSS for layout at markingtime as previously the labels on the Yes No radio buttons could be mistaken for each other.

You can see some documentation at

I have installed it multiple times on Moodle versions 2.5, 2.6 and 2.7 (up to rc1). Please try it and give me feedback.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

Re: New version of BTEC Advanced Grading method

by Alicia Wallace -

Hi, For some reason we are getting the attached error when we add criterion to a marking form. We can't see what is causing it. Do you have any ideas/ suggestions?

We've tried a variety of solutions, but upper/ lower case doesn't help, adding spaces in doesn't help, different browsers don't make a difference. Additionally, when we get the error message the URL changes from [site]/grade/grading/form/btec/edit.php?areaid=3676 to [site]/grade/grading/form/btec/edit.php

We're currently using Moodle 2.4

Really hope you can help, your plugin is absolutely fantastic and our staff really want to use it.

Alicia

PS, attached example of editing screen (you said in another thread that would be helpful)

Attachment BTEC Marking edit.PNG
Attachment BTEC Marking.PNG
In reply to Alicia Wallace

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thank you for the feedback and the description. The error message you are seeing is what it implies, i.e. it is checking that the digit is P,M or D and that it is followed by a number (any number). This code has been under heavy development and testing in the last few weeks. I am sufficiently confident in it that it has been going through the plugin approval process so it is a bit of a mystery.

The closest I can get to what you are seeing is to put a space in front of the criteria id (i.e. the P1, or M2 or whatever).  And I am going to tweak the code so there is a trimming of any leading spaces in a code update. It will not be a browser issue and it will not be a Moodle version issue, but it could easily be a code version issue, i.e. you might have a version from a few weeks ago that has a bug in it. If I had a copy of your your file from the folder (where moodle is the root of your install)

mooodle/grade/grading/btec/lang/en/gradingform_btec.php

I would have a good idea what version of code you were running

In reply to Marcus Green

by Marcus Green -

I have just discovered a minor bug in the validation, but that should only manifest in the event you have a leading space. 

In reply to Marcus Green

by Marcus Green -

I have just updated the code so it does more rigorous validation of the criteria. Can you upgrade to that and test it out. The version.php file contains the string

$plugin->version    = 2012081706;

Again, many thanks for the feedback, it is hugely helpful in improving my code.

Marcus

In reply to Marcus Green

by Alicia Wallace -

No problem, happy to help smile  and thanks for making this change so quickly

For what it's worth, I double checked and got the error without inputting any leading spaces (I pressed backspace a couple of times before typing anything). I'm about to go on holiday but someone here will do the upgrade and get back to you

Alicia

In reply to Alicia Wallace

by Marcus Green -

Have a great holiday, I will do some more testing myself over the next week to check for any other issues.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Maria Hacker -

Hi Marcus

Has there been any update on this issue as I am experiencing the same problem?  We are using the latest version of the plugin 2012081706.

Many thanks

In reply to Maria Hacker

by Marcus Green -

I put a lot of time into trying to reproduce this, but was unable to.  

The perfect solution for me would be to set up a screen sharing session with teamviewer (or similar) to try to get to the bottom of it.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Maria Hacker -

We are also experiencing issues with Tiny MCE since we upgraded to IE11 do you think there may be a connection?

In reply to Maria Hacker

by Marcus Green -

Maria, I think this is a server rather than client side (browser) issue. To add to the messages I sent directly to you could you include a screen shot of how it looks on your machine when this error occurs?

In reply to Marcus Green

by Marcus Green -

Maria, I just noticed that you are running verion

And the  current version is

There was some fixes to validation that relate to the message you are seeing so I reccomend you update to that version

Marcus

In reply to Marcus Green

by Maria Hacker -

Hi Marcus

We are using the current version:

Screenshot of BTEC grader