How Can Students See Advanced Marking Guide Comments in Assignment 2.3?

How Can Students See Advanced Marking Guide Comments in Assignment 2.3?

by Clay Burell -
Number of replies: 4

Field Report: First Time User of Advanced Marking Guide in Assignment

I made hours worth of comments on the advanced marking guide for each trait in the guide, in the expectation that my students would be able to see my comments before working on the assignment's second draft.

I discovered no way to allow students to access my comments before starting their second draft. They couldn't see them when they opened the assignment for draft 2.

Am I missing how to share the guide's marking scores and comments with them?

If not, then pedagogically, this makes little sense to me: why would I make comments if my students can't benefit from them?

Many thanks to anyone who can clarify on the main goal: sharing comments in assignments for formative assessment, trait-based. smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Clay Burell

Re: How Can Students See Advanced Marking Guide Comments in Assignment 2.3?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. Can you explain a bit more when and where you expect students to see your marking guide? When you talk about before starting their second draft?I added an assignment (requiring students to click submit) and when I logged in as a student I was able to see the marking guide comments as in the documentation (I saw you had added a note in the Talk page) So I am not sure where the second draft comes into it. Are you meaning that once they have done a piece of work you are changing the marking guide? And expecting them to see the edited version? 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Clay Burell -

Hi Mary, and thanks for the response.

I doubt I can replicate the issue because it was my first time using it, and I tweaked as I went--never expecting the tweaks to prevent comments from showing.

I'll try to do a sandbox assignment and see if it shows me any way to improve the documentation for other tweakers like me. Requiring "submit," for example, is not a detail that caught my attention in the documentation as being important.

I will add that the same issue I was having with Rubrics happened with Marking Guide: every time I saved marks on the guide, I got an error code > redirect to My Home  and had to click through to the assignment--where I found the marks on the guide had saved.

A round-up of the advantages and disadvantages (including user-friendliness and reliability) of each of the Assignment assessment and feedback options might be a useful post for noobs like me.

Anyway, on my to-do list, though time is tight right now, so here's hoping.... smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Clay Burell -

an you explain a bit more when and where you expect students to see your marking guide? When you talk about before starting their second draft?

If memory serves, I set maximum submissions to 2. Locked after first. Rubric wasn't working well for me, so I changed to Marking Guide--so this was after the first submissions.

Then I marked and commented with Marking Guide. Then unlocked submissions so students could work on draft 2, with all marks set to "release grades" so students could see the marks.

They couldn't.

One issue might also be chron jobs. I finished assessing the last submission 10 minutes before class started. Didn't (and still don't) think that should have been an issue, but know I don't know for sure.

Hope this is clear enough to answer your question.

In reply to Clay Burell

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi again Clay. Sorry for the delay replying but I haven't forgotten this. I tried on the school demo with an assignment which has a marking guide attached - perhaps you'd like to explore with that too? It is here http://school.demo.moodle.net/mod/assign/view.php?id=1455  (log in with username teacher, pword moodle) And then with username student/pword moodle. I also added to your comments on the Talk page of the 2.6 docs here http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Talk:Marking_guide Hopefully we can get something clarified on this.