Changing email message that students receive

Changing email message that students receive

by Jason Vetter -
Number of replies: 5

I want to change the "Attached is your certificate for {$a->course}" message found in /mod/certificate/lang/en/certificate.php. I figured that if I would just add my text around this message, it would fix it, but it does not. Anywhere else I should look to customize the message sent to students when they complete a certificate? Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Vetter

Re: Changing email message that students receive

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Jason,

Please when you ask for help, always give your Moodle version and also the certificate activity module version.

Anyway this is because all lang strings are cached in Moodle: Go to Site Administration -> Development -> Clear all caches, clear the caches and you will see your modifications

But it would have been better not to change the /mod/certificate/lang/en/certificate.php and to use Site Administration  -> Language -> Language customization because that would avoid you the need to redo your changes each time you upgrade the certificate module smile

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Jason Vetter -

Jean-Michel,

Thank you for your response. I'm on Moodle 2.5 at the moment. So I've changed the /mod/certificate/lang/en/certificate.php and /mod/certificate/type/ to add my own folder and certificate type as well. I thought I was following the directions that I saw on a previous post here in the forum, but I guess I am wrong.

Could you please explain what I should do to rectify my problem? Should I change all "certificate.php" files that I changed or added in that directory and make those changes in another directory?

In reply to Jason Vetter

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Sorry if I was not clear

There are 2 methods to customize language strings for your certificate

Method ##1

Edit mod/certificate/lang/en/certificate.php (and eventually mod/certificate/type/yourtype/certificate.php if you have hardcoded strings in your certificate type) as you have done

But after doing that you will not see your changes because all Moodle languages strings are cached

Go to Site Administration -> Development -> Clear all caches and clear all caches

And now you should see your changes

As I said the problem with this method is that you have to redo the changes to mod/certificate/lang/en/certificate.php each time you update the certificate module because your changes are overwritten by the new version

Method 2

No need to edit any file to do language customizations in Moodle just go to Site Administration -> Language -> Language customization and follow the documentation

The advantage of this method is that your changes are not overwritten when you install a new version of Moodle or of the certificate module

by Matt Polaniecki -

How could I use additional profile fields for placeholders for the email? What is the syntax?

by Ross Geller -

Hi Jean-Michel,

I have a similar question, although hopefully simpler.  All I would like to do is add the "Company" field to the automated email that the certificate sends to teachers and administrators.  It helps us route the certificate to the right person.  Is there a simple way to do this?  

I am a Moodle novice, at best, so I appreciate all the help.

Thanks,

Ross