Participants Sorting

Participants Sorting

by Floyd Collins -
Number of replies: 16

Hello All,

I am wondering why in 1.5 is it that the participants are not sorted by latest to log in. I liked how that worked in 1.4. But now I have to dig to see who has logged in the most recent.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Floyd Collins

Re: Participants Sorting

by John Papaioannou -
Why don't you simply click on the last access time column header and sort the way you like it? smile
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Floyd Collins -
Hey there it is smile Thanks,,, and is there a way to make that the default.

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
Jon, I still think this is a bug. The participants list should be initially shown in some standard default sort order (either by lastname or access time), rather than in the capricious order in which they currently appear (i.e. their index in some database tables).  The fact that an experienced user like Floyd had trouble with it should indicate that there is a problem with the current implementation
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks Zbigniew, I was wondering why there was no obvious pattern in the default order of participants. thoughtful I'm in agreement with you that the participants list should be shown sorted either by lastname or access time. Should this be a feature request?

by Mark Stevens -
Zig, It's not a bug, it's a new feature smile  and thanks for explaining it to me too smile  I thought it was listing names by some kind of seniority, but I never bothered to figure out why because I was too annoyed by the fact that it had changed from 1.4 smile  It takes me two clicks to get them ordered by the most recent login...

So, Jon, yes, we like knowing the seniority of folks (even if we didn't know what we were looking at)... but I have a feeling most of us don't like the change that much and would probably like it to go back to the way it was before smile
In reply to Mark Stevens

by Floyd Collins -

Or even a master default preference, setting for it. Anyways, I am glad I am not the only one who was fumbling with this. My concern is my fellow teachers will not understand the new order since they are use to the old way in 1.4. If it is not going to change back then how would I go about including instructions for it.

by N Hansen -
The default sort order should NOT be by last name, as this is a Euro-centric view. In some countries the first name is the one used for sorting. I think it should be by last access time.
In reply to N Hansen

by Darren Smith -

Use the logs for sorting by access time. I would like the user list to be sorted by surname.

A global option somewhere to keep us all happy?

In reply to Darren Smith

by N Hansen -
Have you ever looked at the logs? That simply is not practical, because it shows every action by every person, guest or not. I use the user list for the purpose of seeing how recently someone has been participating, whereas I use the logs for seeing what they looked at. Also, the logs do not include every sort of activity or module or block and therefore are not entirely accurate for seeing when someone last participated.
In reply to N Hansen

by Darren Smith -

Have you ever looked at the logs?

Pretty much every day mixed

Seeing how recently somebody participated is fairly irrelevant in terms of learning. What they contributed is far more important wink

because it shows every action by every person, guest or not

Have you not noticed the drop downs to filter the view wink

Also, you can see when somebody last logged in by looking at their profile which would be easier to find if the user list had some kind of global setting to allow something like sorting by surname.

In reply to Darren Smith

by Robert Brenstein -
> would be easier to find if the user list had some kind of global setting to allow something like sorting by surname

Hmm, have you tried to click the column headings to change the sorting? The user list can be resorted. This thread is about the default sort when the list is first displayed
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Darren Smith -
This thread is about the default sort when the list is first displayed

Yes, I know. I suggested a global option and added more detail in the bug tracker.
In reply to N Hansen

by Robert Brenstein -
I think the other posters mean sorting by name as displayed by Moodle. There is a site-level setting which defines whether names are shown last-first or first-last.

In terms of default, I concur that the last access was better than the new default in 1.5.

However, I think that ultimately the default should be configurable for each course. Some instructors may prefer one, whereas others may prefer another order. Even the same instructor may prefer a different order in different classes. For example, I may want to see students alphabetically in a class of 12 but by last access in a class of 400.
In reply to Floyd Collins

Re: Participants Sorting -- Defaults Added

by John Papaioannou -
Wow, I 'm not sure if this could still be called "popular request" or if it can be considered an uprising. wink

Copying from the discussion for bug 3559:

I 've added a way so that each table spawned with tablelib can specifically request that a default order is used for it. This would be done programmatically, so nothing stops someone for writing logic for it as well.

Presently, I 've hardwired defaults for the participants screen but haven't touched any other tables.

It is also possible and easy to make the table class read some "super default" $CFG setting and only apply it if it makes sense for a specific table. However, I still think it's overkill.

What do you think?

Re: Participants Sorting -- Defaults Added

by Mark Stevens -
Jon, you are a prince smile  Thanks for being so quick to fix it, and thanks for being so generous to the rebel alliance smile