Moodle 2.6: searching for and deleting courses

Moodle 2.6: searching for and deleting courses

by Marc Couture -
Number of replies: 9

Hi,

We just updated to Moodle 2.6 from 2.5 this week.  We often delete courses from the admin interface, as we manage a large installation with thousands of course sites.  To complete this task, we usually search for a course from the category management interface (under /course/management.php).  However, there is no search field available on this page anymore, the page only shows sorting options (first unpleasant surprise):

Even more unpleasant, there is no simple way to delete a course from a search results page (after going through /course/search.php): there are only two icons on the left of search results after clicking the top-right "Manage" button, e.g. Edit or Hide:

I eventually found out I need to click on the course name, then I see a "Delete" link on the far right:

Isn't there a better way to do this?

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Marc Couture

Re: Moodle 2.6: searching for and deleting courses

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Marc,

I could not quite believe it, but you are correct.  I did find that you get a delete icon for a course when you view a category, but that means going through each category one by one.  Perhaps a Moodle Tracker issue?

One thing I found on the category listing page is the ability to delete the category even with courses in it.  I wonder if that action would delete the courses too and if so you could create a 'bin' category, move the courses in there and then delete it?

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes!.....

Attachment 2014-04-30 15_13_37-Course and category management.png

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi both. Tracker issue is here if you'd like to vote for it: MDL-43566

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mike Brinkman -
Has this functionality been restored? The issue tracker says it's closed. I'm on 2.7.1 (build 20140714) and wanted to know if I need a patch to get this working again. I don't want to upgrade to 2.8 yet.
In reply to Mike Brinkman

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Looking at the tracker, it seems to have been fixed for Moodle 2.7.3, if you are able to upgrade to that?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mike Brinkman -

Thanks Mary, helpful as always. It's not a big deal, we'll wait until the end of the semester to upgrade.

by Marc Couture -

@Gareth: this would indeed be helpful when we mass delete courses, thanks for the suggestion!

In reply to Marc Couture

by Miki Alliel -
Picture of Translators

I was surprise to see there is no delete icon after searching a course. This issue is really needed

thanks - just voted to