Moodle 2.6: searching for and deleting courses

Moodle 2.6: searching for and deleting courses

Marc Couture -
Erantzun kopurua: 9

Hi,

We just updated to Moodle 2.6 from 2.5 this week.  We often delete courses from the admin interface, as we manage a large installation with thousands of course sites.  To complete this task, we usually search for a course from the category management interface (under /course/management.php).  However, there is no search field available on this page anymore, the page only shows sorting options (first unpleasant surprise):

Even more unpleasant, there is no simple way to delete a course from a search results page (after going through /course/search.php): there are only two icons on the left of search results after clicking the top-right "Manage" button, e.g. Edit or Hide:

I eventually found out I need to click on the course name, then I see a "Delete" link on the far right:

Isn't there a better way to do this?

Puntuazioen batez bestekoa:Useful (1)
Marc Couture(e)ri erantzunda

Re: Moodle 2.6: searching for and deleting courses

Gareth J Barnard -
Core developers-ren irudia Particularly helpful Moodlers-ren irudia Plugin developers-ren irudia

Hi Marc,

I could not quite believe it, but you are correct.  I did find that you get a delete icon for a course when you view a category, but that means going through each category one by one.  Perhaps a Moodle Tracker issue?

One thing I found on the category listing page is the ability to delete the category even with courses in it.  I wonder if that action would delete the courses too and if so you could create a 'bin' category, move the courses in there and then delete it?

Cheers,

Gareth

Gareth J Barnard(e)ri erantzunda

Gareth J Barnard -
Core developers-ren irudia Particularly helpful Moodlers-ren irudia Plugin developers-ren irudia

Yes!.....

Eranskina 2014-04-30 15_13_37-Course and category management.png
Puntuazioen batez bestekoa:Useful (2)

Mary Cooch -
Documentation writers-ren irudia Moodle HQ-ren irudia Particularly helpful Moodlers-ren irudia Testers-ren irudia Translators-ren irudia

Hi both. Tracker issue is here if you'd like to vote for it: MDL-43566

Puntuazioen batez bestekoa:Useful (3)
Mary Cooch(e)ri erantzunda

Mike Brinkman -
Has this functionality been restored? The issue tracker says it's closed. I'm on 2.7.1 (build 20140714) and wanted to know if I need a patch to get this working again. I don't want to upgrade to 2.8 yet.
Mike Brinkman(e)ri erantzunda

Mary Cooch -
Documentation writers-ren irudia Moodle HQ-ren irudia Particularly helpful Moodlers-ren irudia Testers-ren irudia Translators-ren irudia

Looking at the tracker, it seems to have been fixed for Moodle 2.7.3, if you are able to upgrade to that?

Puntuazioen batez bestekoa:Useful (1)
Mary Cooch(e)ri erantzunda

Mike Brinkman -

Thanks Mary, helpful as always. It's not a big deal, we'll wait until the end of the semester to upgrade.

Marc Couture -

@Gareth: this would indeed be helpful when we mass delete courses, thanks for the suggestion!

Marc Couture(e)ri erantzunda

Miki Alliel -
Translators-ren irudia

I was surprise to see there is no delete icon after searching a course. This issue is really needed

thanks - just voted to