Assignment

Offline grading

Steve McGuire
Offline grading

Hello,

I am trying to grade assignments offline. I am able to download and open the file in Excel and add the grades under the grade column and then save as a csv file.

However, when I upload the modified file, I get the message "No modified grades found in uploaded worksheet." I haven't made any other modifications to the grades, but clicking on the box that allows changes to be made doesn't make any difference either.

What am I doing wrong?

I am using 2.6.2+ and an older version of Excel, if that helps.

TIA.

Steve

Average of ratings: -
Steve McGuire
Re: Offline grading

Hello,

If anyone is interested, I solved my problem in getting the offline grading worksheet to upload. I read through one of the many helpful pages online and mention was made that the teacher can also choose to give feedback offline in addition to grades. I had this turned on but did not make any comments this time.

Is this a bug or a feature? I haven't tried commenting on at least one student's output to see if that is enough to allow me to upload. I wonder whether I have to make a comment for every grade?

Steve

photo ulrrrike

Hello Steve, thank you for proposing the solution, I was looking for it - or better said, am looking for it because I don't really understand your solution (sorry !). Could you tell me what you did so that Moodle would accept the cvs file (that it doesn't keep saying that there were no changes) ?

Thank you very much !

Steve McGuire

Ulrike,

Within the assignment settings under feedback types (in the same place where you set the assignment for offline grading) I had feedback comments turned on even though I wasn't making any comments within the downloaded file--I was just giving a grade.

So, I turned off the feedback comments and redownloaded and did my assessment on that file, and the file uploaded fine.

I haven't tried to see if it works if the feedback comments is checked and there ARE comments yet.

Does that make more sense? Please let me know. I'm not sure why this has worked for me (it feels kind of pinball wizardly, if you'll excuse an obscure reference), and I can't promise the same for you, but maybe it's worth a try.

Steve

Steve McGuire

Ulrike,

Within the assignment settings under feedback types (in the same place where you set the assignment for offline grading) I had feedback comments turned on even though I wasn't making any comments within the downloaded file--I was just giving a grade.

So, I turned off the feedback comments and redownloaded and did my assessment on that file, and the file uploaded fine.

I haven't tried to see if it works if the feedback comments is checked and there ARE comments yet.

Does that make more sense? Please let me know. I'm not sure why this has worked for me (it feels kind of pinball wizardly, if you'll excuse an obscure reference), and I can't promise the same for you, but maybe it's worth a try.

Steve

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
photo ulrrrike

Hello Steve, thank you very much for your answer!

In my case, the box wasn't checked. And now, I have a problem with the file (Moodle doesn't recognize it as a csv file) - I think my programs don't handle it well (trying with Excel 2007 and OO).

But this can be a useful tip for the future smile

photo ulrrrike

Hello again, It worked in my case too now ! I edited it with bloc-notes and Moodle accepted it (I'll try to find another program though because bloc-note won't be practical for teachers).

Steve McGuire

Ulrike,

It seems I got your messages out of sync for some reason. I'm glad you got it to work.

I'll tell myself that I helped you despite the fact that it sounds like your problem wasn't with the box being checked but with the format of the csv files. smile

Steve

photo ulrrrike

Yes indeed you did help me smile Thanks again!

Steve McGuire

Ulrike,

Sorry! I guess I can't help you. Would the version of Moodle matter? Would you like to see a version of my csv files that work?

Hope you figure this out. I guess this problem is pretty low on power users' radar.

Steve