Why quiz is running very slow?

Why quiz is running very slow?

by murugan muthu -
Number of replies: 3

Hello, 

I am using moodle 2.3.

I have created many of the quiz(multiple choice questions) in my moodle server.

I have noticed that all the multiple choice are running very slow. Why?

Is it possible to make it run fast?

My thanks in advance.

m.murugan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to murugan muthu

Re: Why quiz is running very slow?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
  1. Install Moodle 2.6 (or anything after 2.4).
  2. Read and apply http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Performance_recommendations
  3. Measure what is going on on your servers (CPU, memory, discIO, networkIO, ...), so you can see where the bottleneck is.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Wen Hao Chuang -

Hi Tim, just a related quick question.

Would enabling the "Autosave period" feature in Moodle 2.6 slow down the quiz performance in some way, especially if you are expecting 30+ students who will be taking the same quiz at the same time? Have any test been done in this area? Thanks!

Wen

In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It might slow things down slightly. I don't know of any side-by-side comparisons of server load.

Do the back of the envelope calculation. 30 students, autosave every minute (assuming you choose the highest frequency). That is only one request every 2 seconds, which is not much. (Well, I have just been load-testing the OU system with an average load of 30 requests per second, so it does not seem like a lot to me.)