Moodle 2.7 log, and queries

Moodle 2.7 log, and queries

by Stuart Mealor -
Number of replies: 2

I've just been thinking about the new option for Moodle 2.7 to have the mdl_log data external to the main database.
Can anyone tell me how this impacts on queries ?
(I know this external log can be left as internal in Moodle 2.7, albeit with lower performance).
For example, a lot of queries will select username, coursename, and data from mdl_log table.
But if mdl_log is external, that isn't possible right?
And if we do use the option for mdl_log to be external, presumably this doesn't have the data about userid, course, etc. that is used in many queries.
I haven't investigated this fully yet, just have a basic 2.7 test site, but it's a question that's I've just thought about, and I'm looking to understand how other people are seeing this picture?
Thanks, Stu.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stuart Mealor

Re: Moodle 2.7 log, and queries

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
The way I understood it was that the significant difference is in the table definition. Compare the legacy mdl_log with the new mdl_logstore_standard_log. If I understood it correctly, your external table should have the same definition as the new mdl_logstore_standard_log has in order to store all given data. If mdl_log was used as the external table, some info would be just lost.

Note I may be wrong though.