Installation issues at database set up

Installation issues at database set up

by Brandon Murry -
Number of replies: 6

I'm trying to install moodle on my home computer. I'm running a LAMP using Crunchbang 11 (based on Debian). I can access my website using the domain I have registered, www.murrymath.com. I can start the moodle installation by going to murrymath.com/moodle. Everything goes fine until I get to the database settings page.

When I press continue, nothing happens. If I try to go back to murrymath.com/moodle I get a blank page. The config.php file is created fine but the moodle mysql database has not been changed. 

I've edited my apache2.conf (httpd.conf) with the recommended settings, and I've edited my php.ini with the recommended settings. Still, nothing loads after I hit "continue" on the database settings page.

Any help woudl be greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brandon Murry

Figured out the issue

by Brandon Murry -

Since I'm running a site on my own computer, I have my domain murrymath.com resolving to murry.homedns.org. What seems to happen if I try to access murrymath.com/moodle is that GoDaddy shoves the murry.homedns.org in to a frame and the browser is complaining about possible click baiting. When I opened up FireFox inspector I saw the problem. I can access the moodle by just going directly through murry.homedns.org.

Now I have to talk to GoDaddy about how to fix the issue!

Re: Figured out the issue

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Depending ... think you might discover issues with that setup.   GoDaddy just needs DNS entries for murrymath.com to point to murry.homedns.org which points to your 'own computer'.   Your own computer has to run some sort of agent which tells murry.homedns.org the server is up and responding. Your computer has to be ON ALL the time.  In affect what you are trying to do is use GoDaddy hosting as a proxy for your 'home computer' ... is that right?

What about limitations concerning bandwidth ... upload/download ... if the connectivity is not business class?   Plus what of the ability to do anything behind the scenes ... with the DB, with files, etc. remotely ... ie, not from 'home' (where ever 'my computer' resides).

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Re: Figured out the issue

by Brandon Murry -

Thanks for the post Ken. The problem I was having turned out to have something to do with x-frame-options. I had to do two things it seems. I added a line to my apache config file, Header always append X-Frame-Options ALLOW-FROM=http://murrymath.com/moodlemost browsers let me connect from murrymath.com/moodle. There is some issue called "click-baiting" that makes including websites inside a frame a security issue. The second thing I had to do was change a setting in  moodle itself to allow embedding in frames, Site Administration -> Security -> HTTP Security -> Allow Frame Embedding. Now, only FireFox seems to be refusing to load the page from murrymath.com/moodle.

Now about the other things you asked about, I am setting up Moodle as a test in order to learn how to use it. I had port forwarding set up for ssh so that I can access my things remotely. All I have to do is ssh to the murry.homedns. When the computer is off, obviously none of this works, but I usually just keep it on. GoDaddy is just handling the DNS things for me since I don't know how to set up my own DNS; I also purchased the domain name through them. There are obvious issues with this set-up, but it works for the tinkering I"m trying to do. 

Thanks for the reply!

Brandon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Re: Installation issues at database set up

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Brandon,

It seems that you have some kind of problem with how the domain is being handled. From taking a look at the source from the main page, I see that the actual address is murry.homedns.org:8080/, as a matter of fact, the address murrymath.com doesn't display anything, while the other shows the "It works" message. Your Moodle installation is working at this address.

In reply to Guillermo Madero

Re: Installation issues at database set up

by Brandon Murry -

It seems that GoDaddy is shoving the murry.homedns.org:8080/moodle in to a frame, and this creates some sort of "click-baiting" issue with broswers and Moodle itself. The moodle is now accessible from murrymath.com/moodle from the changes I made to my apache config file and to moodle's security settings. FireFox still does not connect, but this seems to be due to the way apache makes me enter the x-frames-option header (I have to put ALLOW-FROM=murrymath.com/moodle where I believe Firefox does not want the '=' sign). Still, I can access it on my phone and other browsers without having to type murry.homedns.org:8080/moodle, 

-Brandon