Latest Upgrade Problems

Latest Upgrade Problems

by Simon Bryan -
Number of replies: 3

Hi all

I have been having some trouble upgrading to the latest release, the process hangs after updating System and Scorm. Says Success but does not progress.

History:

• Site was recently cloned to a VM and the theme changed from Essential to Elegance
  • When I went to update I realised I was not using Git anymore so:
    • Created a new folder 'moodle' in the web server root /var/www and setup git there - it works well and pulled down the moodle files
    • renamed the html folder to htmloriginal and the moodle folder to html
    • copied over modules etc that has been added
    • copied over the config.php 
    • visited the admin page and te update was triggered but then it died at the above spot.

I restored and tried again with same result

Restored again and installed the extra php extensions mbstring, soap, intl and restarted apache and the site went straight into the upgrade again and won't allow me to cancel 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Simon Bryan

Re: Latest Upgrade Problems

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

"upgrading to the latest release"

From what version to what version?  fgrep '$release' moodlecode/version.php will show the version of the current code.

If you didn't git checkout the 2.6 branch you have the dev branch of 2.7

Might have to get cloned copies again ... data directory and a fresh sql dump import into a new DB.  Acquire the code directory via git setting the branch to 2.6 IF that's where you are going. And start the upgrade process again.

Sounds like you have command line access.   Try using command line upgrade?

cd moodlecode/admin/cli/

php upgrade.php --non-interactive

This does get around any browser/apache/timeouts, etc. issues one might be having.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Simon Bryan

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Can you confirm what versions of Moodle you are upgrading from and to?

When you say you copied over optional plugins, did you check that they are (now) the correct versions for the version of Moodle you are upgrading to?

You should also enable full Debugging before starting the upgrade in case any warnings/notices appear. 

In reply to Simon Bryan

by Simon Bryan -

Apologies for the delay guys, here is my Moodle version info:

Upgrading to: Moodle 2.6.2+ (Build: 20140424)0.1.2Stable version form Moodle 2.6.2 (Build: 20140310)
Well assume upgrading to that version anyway as I setup Git and pulled the latest Stable version

We have a number of Plugins that have been installed (HOt Potatoes, LDAP Capture etc) when I run the upgrade it tells me they are missing from the disk and I copy the folders from the old system to the new one. All modules were up to date for the existing system.

Unfortunatley my window of opportunity to do the upgrade has passed for now or I would remove those modules and then try the upgrade and add them back in afterwards. If I get a chance will set up a test site.

Yep do have cli access, that is why I like git - "git pull" and the upgrade is generally done.

Cheers
Simon