reCaptcha Preventing User Registration

reCaptcha Preventing User Registration

by Fred Roller -
Number of replies: 6

Hello everyone, I have been trying to get a site online and admittedly it has been a while since I last worked with Moodle.  Where the issue is during registration email the recaptcha will not continue the process.  I am using the email_based self-registration with admin confirmation plugin because we need to control who registers.  Despite the plugin developed upto 2.4 it still works in 2.6 install which is using the Essential theme.

As a note reCaptcha requires email_based self-registration to be enabled in Manage Authentication even though not chosen in Common Settings.  This is in addition to w/ admin confirmation just for reCaptcha to show up.  Once you fill in the form neither extension will get past the reCaptcha.  I have searched the forums but usually come up with install instructions which get me as far as I have gotten.

Can anyone get me pointed in the right direction or has some insight to this issue.  It is active if you want to try yourself @ www.womenofconnections.org/login/signup.php

Thank you

Fred

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fred Roller

Re: reCaptcha Preventing User Registration

by Jez H -

I would start by disabling that Admin extension to see if that is part of the problem, you can re-enable it later once you have got re- captcha working.

I would also revert to a standard Moodle theme to check whether any java scripts in essential are interfering with re-captcha.

In reply to Jez H

by Fred Roller -

Thank you Jex H for your reply.  During build I was getting the Email w/ Admin Confirm running first so I already know that the it works up to that point.  Next step was to secure it to avoid the spam requests and once I got the reCaptcha account set up that is when I discovered the loop, which is what it appears to be because there is no error.

I will try the default theme and see if that has any affect on it later tonight.  The lady I am doing this for is very excited because she has had this vision to help ESL's for over ten years and never knew she had this resource available so it's like a dream come true for her vision.  I just don't/won't sacrifice security for time.  Thanks again for the help I will update later.

- Fred

In reply to Fred Roller

by Jez H -

Stick with it, it does work smile

recaptcha is essential if your using self registration.

If you can consider blocking search engines with a robots.txt file, it will make the site harder to find but if you promote though facebook or other sites it maybe an option.

You should be able to disable the admin plugin by hiding it in the manage plugins area of the admin section, no need to uninstall it.

Finally feel free to pm me if you update this thread and I miss it wink

In reply to Jez H

by Fred Roller -

Thanks, these things are just puzzles to be figured out. ;) I did revert the site back to the standard theme and flushed the cache... still no joy.  The reCaptcha still loops back on submission of the form.  I am following (trying) the logic paths of the code in the php to see where reCaptcha may reset the challenge without an error.  As mentioned I already know it will work without the reCaptcha because I got the site tested out that far before installing the plugin.  She is not high volume yet so manual addition will do for the time being.  The answer is there just need to find it. :P

- Fred

In reply to Fred Roller

[Solved] Re: reCaptcha Preventing User Registration

by Fred Roller -

Okay, the issue with the reCaptcha is not with Moodle, yea, so install as instructed.  BTW the plugin "Email-based self-registration with admin confirmation" which showed dev upto 2.5 (I think) mostly works in 2.6; but that is another topic.  Back to reCaptcha.

As it turns out there is an OS issue, apparently.  My set up was to edit and work from Chrome and Test functions in Firefox from the same machine.  Thinking there may be a tie to the IP I decided to register from my phone which removed all commonalities between client and server leaving only the server as the common point.  The registration went through flawlessly.

Once discovered I logged out of Moodle on the Chrome browser and tried and fail registration. A few other tests to remove the routers as a cause and am simply left with the OS.  So those that wish I will be pursuing this on the Xubuntu mailing list since we just released 14.04 and there may be a kink to work out.  Thanks again Jez H for the assist.  All of you are doing great work and I look forward to being a part of this community again.

- Fred

Average of ratings: Useful (1)