Number of replies: 3

Hi Folks,

Not sure if this is a bug or if I am missing something:

• Moodle 2.6
  • Created a new course in "Separate Groups" mode
  • I have adjusted the permissions for one of my roles to the following:
    • Manage groups - Allow
    • Access all groups - Prohibit

In theory, this role should be able to manage ONLY the groups they are enrolled in - however, this role can now see all groups and all users. This is not cool. They CAN only see the groups they are enrolled in on the Grade book though. 

I really hope I am missing a simple permission out somewhere but i've Google'd and Google'd and I am not getting anywhere! Ive read on the moodle page that "data bleed" is a known issue, but so many people are using this permission successfully there must be a way around it???

Any help would be very gratefully received! 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Griffiths

Re: Access all groups not working!

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I expect that the group management interface was built on the assumption that anyone who can manage which groups exist, and who is a member of each group, should be able to access all groups.

What do you actually want people to be able to do? I guess it is not everything that 'manage groups' allows.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Access all groups not working!

by John Griffiths -
Hi Tim,

Thank you for getting back to me. 

We have different groups from different organisations, and I would like to assign certain users from each organisation the rights to manage the groups for that particular organisation, but not ALL groups from all organisations.

Here is an example:

Mr Smith enrols 10 staff into 2 groups - Group A and Group B. He needs to be able to remove and swap users between A & B, but NOT able to see Mr Jone's groups C and D. Mr Smith should be able to Edit the Group Settings to edit enrollement keys etc but ideally I would not let him add or delete groups. 

Any help would be really appreciated, I know a little about editing core code so dont mind doing that if people can point me in the direction of the right files to change and the scripts that should be changed.

Thanks very much folks!