Rubric giving the wrong Grade.

Rubric giving the wrong Grade.

by Rob Monk -
Number of replies: 13

This rubric should give a score of 20/25 which should convert to 80%. It is giving a score of 75. Why? How do I fix it?

Moodle version Help with Moodle version

Moodle release Help with Moodle release
2.6.1+ (Build: 20140117)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Monk

Re: Rubric giving the wrong Grade.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you take a look at the Grade calculation section in Rubrics it suggests you always a level with 0 points in the rubric definition.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Glynn -

I have raised this before as I think it is not intuitive for most teachers. Consequently I have raised it on Moodle Tracker - Hopefully people will vote for it

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-45241

Kind regards

Mark

In reply to Mark Glynn

by Rob Monk -

I had a look at the tracker entry and it is listed as a minor issue.

This is not a minor issue.

It should be fixed quickly as it makes rubrics unreliable to use. 
The example above where a teacher's faith in using rubrics has been destroyed.

Why should we have to put a zero in?

That does not make sense. 

In reply to Rob Monk

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Maybe it is just me but I don't understand why you would NOT want to have a zero level for a criterion. thoughtful I sometimes have students who fail to do part of, or even all of, an assignment at times. How can I give them zero points, if there is no zero level in my rubric criterion? If they didn't do part of, or in some cases, none of, an assignment, why would I want the minimum score be such that it rewards them with points for doing nothing?

As for Why should we have to put a zero in? - you don't. The first one is already there when you start making the rubric and it automatically shows up each time you add another criterion, UNLESS, you delete it. mixed

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Mark Glynn -

Point taken Al. But my issue is that the calculation forces the teacher to use zero and if they don't they get an error. So my preference is to use a simpler formula that will not punish the lecturer for not using zero - essentially keeping lecturers with all "rubric marking preferences" happy

Kind regards

Mark

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Glynn

by Rob Monk -

Al's right and so is Mark. 

Change the code to make the calc get it right with a zero or not. 

In reply to Rob Monk

by Marina Glancy -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hello, it would have helped very much if you made a screenshot of the rubric AND the text above it that says:

The minimum possible score for this rubric is 5 points and it will be converted to the minimum grade available in this module (which is zero unless the scale is used). The maximum score 25 points will be converted to the maximum grade.
Intermediate scores will be converted respectively and rounded to the nearest available grade.
If a scale is used instead of a grade, the score will be converted to the scale elements as if they were consecutive integers.

This was made for a reason, when scale is used there is no 0 value and 0 points in rubric become confusing then

In reply to Marina Glancy

by Eric Strom -

This will be an ongoing issue for instructors using Rubrics unless there is either a prompt to alert instructors about what the lack of a zero value means (when using points), or the rubric calculations provide accommodations for the lack of zeros in criteria levels (again, if using points). I can't see many (if any) scenarios where someone wants a calculation without zero values to come out the way it is built if they aren't using scales.

For administrators, I've created an ad-hoc sql query to use in Configurable Reports block plugin that finds rubrics that contain criteria that lack zeros. This can provide a safety net to engage instructors that may have this grade-integrity issue and don't realize it.

https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/ad-hoc_contributed_reports#Rubrics_without_zero_values_in_criteria

In reply to Marina Glancy

by Alistair Spark -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I thought I had this set correctly but apparently not.

I have set up a rubric with 7 criteria where no points can be gained - all options are 0 points.  And one criteria providing the grade - this has a minimum value of 0 & a maximum value of 100 

So all students would get (0 *7 + x ) / (0*7 + 100) = x/100 

The statement does go on about the score being between 0 & 100:

The minimum possible score for this rubric is 0 points and it will be converted to the minimum grade available in this module (which is zero unless the scale is used). The maximum score 100 points will be converted to the maximum grade.
Intermediate scores will be converted respectively and rounded to the nearest available grade.
If a scale is used instead of a grade, the score will be converted to the scale elements as if they were consecutive integers.

However the actual grade calculated ends up being X+1 or X-1 on the grading scale used. (So if iI had values 0,10,20,40,60,80,100 in the final criterion and I picked 60 it would show up as 80 or 40 & very rarely as the correct value of 60)

According to the previous discussions, I believed this would calculate the grades correctly but it doesn't!

Makes me want to get a new Advanced Grading method developed which can calculate grades properly and reliably!!! If anyone else is interested in doing the same, get in touch !

In reply to Alistair Spark

by Robin Sitten -

I don't have an answer, Alistair, but I do have this same question. I am exploring Grading by Rubric just now, and finding "unexpected results." I think what I might need is the "marking guide" rather than "rubric," but I am still exploring.

In reply to Robin Sitten

by Alistair Spark -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Robin,

We have a spec written up for this Feedback rubric and looking at developing it in and hoping to get this into Core if they'll let us (dreaming maybe) or released as a plugin in the DB.

Will let you know when it's out.

Thanks

Alistair

In reply to Alistair Spark

by Lillian Mixon -

Thanks for the info.