Installing Moodle 2.6.2+ on GoDaddy

Installing Moodle 2.6.2+ on GoDaddy

by Tony Alonzo -
Number of replies: 7

I am a total noob at Moodle, and was hoping to get it up and running.

I acquired a new domain name last night, and added it to my current Linux hosting service.

Their application version is 1.9, and I want to run a more current version, so I am trying the manual install with version 2.6.2+.

I had to update my PHP to v.5.3 in order for my Moodle Install to even initiate.

I have been able to upload all of the Moodle files via ftp transfer, and can run the install from my site.

Here is where I am stuck.

After I select "Improved MySQL" it takes me to Database Settings.

I left the Database Host as default "localhost"

I left the Database Name as default "moodle"

I dont know what my Database User or Database Password is suppose to be. I am assuming this is associated with my hosting account? I dont think it asked me to set this up yet as part of the install, so maybe some clarification on how to do this, or where to do this would be helpful as part of the solution.

I got this error "Database Connection Failed", and then it gives me this warning:

Warning: mysqli::mysqli() [mysqli.mysqli]: (HY000/2002): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/content/h/a/b/habaner0/html/Reconnect/lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php on line 76

Any assistance would be appreciated. I am not a programmer or anything.  I was just hoping to get through the install process successfully so I could begin developing and adding content to my LMS.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tony Alonzo

Re: Installing Moodle 2.6.2+ on GoDaddy

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

The 'suggestions' one sees in the dialog boxes for DB host, DB name, DB user, DB password are examples.  Remotely hosted on GoDaddy means you have to use a GD app for customers that works with DB's and create the database for moodle manually.

Please see: http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/36/creating-mysql-or-sql-server-databases-for-your-hosting-account

Using the tool create a database for the moodle.   You will then know what values to place in the installation form related to the DB for your Moodle.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Tony Alonzo -

Sweet!

Thanks for the response.

I have just set things up, and am waiting for it to process.

That step makes sense now.

Appreciate the help.

In reply to Tony Alonzo

by Tony Alonzo -

Cool,

It looks like I have succeed in my install.

Now I need to add a theme, because the organization looks way too plain.

In reply to Tony Alonzo

by Nikki LM -

I'm installing 2.6 on GoDaddy just as a practice site as well. I'm having issues with the theme, the is just showing as plain text down the left hand side. I think its a permission issue somewhere. Did you managed to get the theme working ok?

Many thanks

In reply to Nikki LM

by Sumanth CN -
Hi Nikki,

I am also facing the same issue with go daddy. I am installing Moodle on my sub-domain... What the permission error that I need to fix to solve this issue.

Your help is very much appriciated.

Thanks & Regards
Sumanth C N
In reply to Sumanth CN

by john Simpson -

I don't know if this will help. this tutorial from youtube looks straightforward. He's using Godaddy, but I find that the tutorial is useful for most of us using any decent host.

In reply to Tony Alonzo

by john Simpson -

REF: Nikki.

Seems  you have now passed the toughest obstacle.

I'm no expert, as I have just started learning Moodle myself. However I think your next query about themes is easy. Go to administration at  the bottom area of your menu-turn on editing-find and click on themes-choose and click your theme.