Courses won't upload after server migration

Courses won't upload after server migration

by Hunter Allspaugh -
Number of replies: 6

I just created a Moodle 2.6.2 installation on Ubuntu 14.04 with nginx and imported the moodle data from our production installation.  The production server is running on Windows Server 2008r2 and IIS 7.5.  Everything seems to be working perfectly except for restoring courses.  Restoring courses will usually get to about 24.5% done until it hangs and never finishes.  My nginx.conf has client_max_body_size = 2500M and client_body_timeout = 14400.  My php.ini has post size and file upload size set to 2500M and the timeout is also set to 14400.  Is there something in particular I need to look at to get information as to what would be causing this issue?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hunter Allspaugh

Re: Courses won't upload after server migration

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't know much about nginx but a client_body_timeout of 14400 sounds a bit much. Huge numbers in php.ini settings sometimes don't do what you expect as there is only so many bytes allocated for the value and it doesn't tell you if it's too big (you just get an effectively random result). I would set all these timeouts to something sensible. Then... switch Debugging up to full in Moodle and try again. Is there any further information? 

In reply to Howard Miller

by dawn alderson -

ALERT.....TANGENT TIME!

HM-you been on holiday! tongueout

Nice to see you back fella.

Dawn

by Hunter Allspaugh -

Let me see what all I can give you for details that I am aware of.  For starters, I went ahead and scaled the max execution time to 900 in an attempt to see if a more reasonable value helps.  

A few details about the courses being restored:

They are courses that were originally v2.2 courses that were migrated to 2.4, and now again to 2.6.  They are courses that have 40 sections, which I know caused issues in previous versions, and they have a lot of questions in the question bank. This was also a previous issue due to all questions being copied over every time, regardless.

We have debugging turned up to full and it never gives any details on the restore hang in the logs.  The course restore progress meter usually hangs at just over 24% and will stay there forever and not move.

In reply to Hunter Allspaugh

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

How many is a "lot" of questions? This has been a known issue for a while...

by Hunter Allspaugh -

In some cases, there are thousands of questions.  But currently, any course that has a quiz present in its curriculum hangs upon restoration.