General plugins

Voice recording add-on

Picture of Tom Connolly
Voice recording add-on

I am pretty sure that this exists in Moodle but I forgot the name and could not bring it up by searching.  I want my EFL students to record passages from their text and send them to me electronically.  What is this app called?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Richard Oelmann
Re: Voice recording add-on
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

I believe there are several different ones, but the one I've used is Poodll

https://moodle.org/plugins/search.php?s=poodll&search=Search+plugins

Matt Bury
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Hi Tom,

There's two options, Flash based and Java based:

Flash based: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=assignment_onlineaudio and https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=repository_recordaudio and https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=assignsubmission_onlineaudio (All by the same developer. Can be used together or choose the one that best fits your needs)

Java based: http://gong.ust.hk/nanogong/

I hope this helps! smile

Picture of AL Rachels
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

I have used all three voice recording add-ons mentioned by Richard and Matt. IMHO the one with the most versatility Is PoodLL. It has worked with every computer, laptop, netbook, tablet, and smart phone that I have tried it with, using audio or video. The main part is the PoodLL filter. Then there are other parts that give you capability to make a recording as an assignment, database field, quiz question, repository...just anywhere Moodle gives you a TinyHTML edit window. In fact, the latest add-0n, PoodLL Anywhere, is a plugin for TinyHTML that adds buttons directly to the toolbar, making it even more convenient to use.

Picture of Don Hinkelman
Plugin developers

Justin Hunt has made a strong commitment to building and supporting PoodLL.  Also, his plugin received the Best Innovation award at the MoodleMoot Japan.  I expect our school will make a long-term investment using this for EFL education.

Matt Bury

Hi Don,

Yes, ongoing support is a major consideration for any plugin: before you invest the time and effort into developing curricula around 3rd party plugins, you want to be sure that they'll still be working as expected in the years to come.

Justin, AFAIK, has been quick off the mark to deal with issues as they arise. Poodl's definitely a good choice.

NanoGong has had more than it's fair share of issues in recent months, mostly due to browsers hardening their security policies in response to Oracle's (owners of Java) poor record of maintaining the JRE browser plugin, leading to a number of serious security issues. They seem to be on top of things now though. NanoGong seems to be pretty well supported by the Hong Kong University of Science & Technology. However, many sysadmins have removed the JRE altogether from their networks and are reluctant to reinstall it, given it's recent problems.

Paul Nichols, at the University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand, supports the Flash based audio recording plugin. So far, he's been pretty good at responding to issues and requests. The app itself uses an Actionscript library (I forget who supports it, some place like MIT) that's really efficient and fast. The resulting MP3 files are high quality and very small. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Paul Nicholls
Core developersPlugin developersTesters

Thanks for your summary, Matt.  I do try to keep on top of issues (and requests, where possible), though it can sometimes take me a while to find the time if it's not something which is directly affecting us here at Canterbury.  It sounds as though there may be some compatibility issues with 2.7 (possibly just deprecation warnings preventing redirects - I haven't had time to dig into it yet), at least in the assignment submission plugin - but with the 2.7 release coming up soon, I'll be looking at it shortly.

For the record, the MP3 encoding library is Shine - I used an already-available AS3/Alchemy port (Alchemy since became FlasCC, which is now CrossBridge - if I can find the time, I might have to have a play with that and see if it's worth compiling a new SWC; perhaps CrossBridge can create a better-optimised version?).  Shine is a light-weight MP3 encoder (previously called 8hz-MP3) built for simplicity.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Matt Bury

Should've known; it's by Cyril Diagne (kikko), who's one of the LAME MP3 CODEC developers. I remember playing with it a few years back.