Developer/User Stats

Developer/User Stats

by Jody Steele -
Number of replies: 3

Hi everyone,

I work for a higher learning institute in Canada, and I was just hoping to do an informal survey of the developer populace to see what the norm is for Moodle implementations around the world (please let me know if this exists somewhere already).

The questions I have in mind are the following:

1. How many users do you support? (roughly)
  2. How much customization have you done? (# of 3rd party modules installed, # of in house modules, # of files edited)
  3. How many full time equivalent (FTE) developers do you have?
  4. How many FTE support staff do you have?

Here are the answers for my implementation.  There are also other CMSes used on our campus, but I think Moodle is the largest by a fair margin.

1. ~20k (that have accessed the site since January 1st, 2014)
  2. 4 3rd party modules, 12 locally developed modules, ~100 core files changed (ahh the double edged sword of open source)
  3. 1.2 FTE (2 people) (me and a part time student...)
  4. 2.5 FTE (4 people)

Any additional comments would be great, thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jody Steele

Re: Developer/User Stats

by Valery Fremaux -
Picture of Plugin developers

As far a i read you, your questions seems being water clear, here would b my local results, adding all projects :

1. 1M (state wide moodle for national education and 12 other customer programs)

2. 20 3rd party modules, 70 locally developped, < 10 core files changed (when no oher solution)

3. 1.2 (me + wafa adham as occasional subcontractor)

4. 1 (me, actually not making the pedagogic support) 

It could be interesting (just an idea) to quantify the amount of architecture insight in Moodle. As you may know some people argue being moodle developers after having changed 3 lines (clever lines indeed) in one source and fork a module with significant added value. Other will deal with very deep and intimous moodle internal structures to try to follow all rules.... but no idea of the "scale" to use or how to present the question)

In reply to Jody Steele

by Rex Lorenzo -
  1. ~32K per term. A mix of students, faculty, and staff.
  2. 15 3rd party plugins, >40 locally developed plugins, <50 core edits. I am trying to get the number of core edits down in our planned Moodle 2.7 upgrade.
  3. 2 FTE (myself and another fulltime staff developer) and 1 FTE (4 students working part-time that add up to a little less than 1 full time person, maybe). We have other departments that volunteer some developer resources at times, but it isn't consistent.
  4. 1 FTE (1 full time support coordinator), then each department has their own local support person(s), but it is hard to give a count. Though the local support person(s) usually spend part-time on supporting our Moodle install.
In reply to Jody Steele

by Dale Davies -

1. Roughly 15k per academic year

2. 4 3rd party modules, 1 custom theme, 3 custom course formats, about 5 other custom modules (mainly blocks and reports). 4 core files edited, I made it my mission to minimise this.

3. 1 full time developer (me)

4. 2 other full time support staff