Google Apps for Education with Hapara & Moodle

Re: Google Apps for Education with Hapara & Moodle

by dawn alderson -
Number of replies: 2

Hi Jago,

managed to get a look at that, thanks a lot.  So, as I understand it then Hapara.com can accommodate Google aps, which in turn can be added on to a Moodle course. smile

I think the work you have come up with so far (I say this because I think there appear to be  further possibilites for development in order to reach a wider audience of teachers and learners for sure) is great.

Reason I say further possibilities is because it appears the work targets a blended approach for formative assessment (specifically secondary and FE)- great stuff-but I think a couple of further ideas might be worth sharing here too.

From what I can see print docs and presentations can be shared between teacher and learner....and I assume student/and/or staff groups.  Of course, if there is a need for face-to-face clarity then within these specific settings, that corner is covered. 

When it comes to online learning then would Hapara be compatible/interoperable with say, BBB or other video conferencing tools?  Also, I wonder whether the scope of what can be shared might be broader....video...audio etc. Just some thoughts as I think this has potential not only for formative feedback and adjustment, but also project/portfoilo/research and perhaps global group collaborations-within Moodle..I am thinking during a MOOC for example.

Anyway, nice to have the oppotunity to see the work.  I think above all it has great tracking potential for student achievement and attainment as well as scope for a wider reach.

cheers,

Dawn 

In reply to dawn alderson

by Jago Brown -

Hi Dawn,

thanks for the feedback.  Hapara sits on top of the organisations Google account, but provides a valueble way of viewing the Google Drives of others (A way which in this case Google [APIs] have left to a 3rd party - Hapara).  These collaborative cloud productivity tools are not specific to Google/Hapara (...,,Lotus notes, Office 365...) or Moodle, so as you recognise have very broad use/potential for learning which education research & policy... is failing to act on. There will probably be some movement on this when countries who harness this technology move up the PISA education tables smile

It is quite difficult to get across how we will use this (communication/collaboration/productivity) technology, the impact it will have on learning platforms, & I'm not sure the attached diagram does much to help:  

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1ft-E_QCmc6hK3TmChdHOkM6nTPBKT8RzS-XXt4FPL4w/edit?usp=sharing

If I had time I would have done a proper job with the screen cast above, & used some of my motion graphics skills to animate & better illustrate how teachers & students will use this technology as part of the next generation of learning platform.  ( integration of: learning analytics, adaptive learning plagiarism detection, question engines, voice feedback &  class assessment gradebook)

With a key Google+ leader leaving, the gossip is that many Google engineers will be moved else where.  Maybe they will be building on Hapara & intelligently harnessing 'Search' and that little repository called YouTube... into a learning platform offering?

Jago

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jago Brown

by dawn alderson -

Jago-birthday celebrations here-can't stop! wink

Never mind about what you think you have not done-some very, very good stuff here-PISA-oh don't get me started....crumbs, could write an essay...about that.  You are spot on, however-yes the next round will-well the inference is there will be a focus upon 'creative problem solving' I can but only agree with your sound-well thought out rationale/ideas/innovative progress and the inherent possibilities in your work-bodes well! Really does bode well........

please drop me a line about moving things forward on that front-with regard to the affordances of technology-specifically, along the lines you outline, very interesting-Moodle offers a branch-Google-politics-ahumm....I hear you!

The thing is peeps never know about their great ideas unless others share an understanding...here-I have listened and I understand the merit in what you propose.

Brilliant stuff-keep going.

Dawn