Will this configuration handle 20K users?

Will this configuration handle 20K users?

by German Acevedo -
Number of replies: 9

We are planning to open a Moodle Open Course Ware and are estimating to have approx. 20K active users but want to have a simple installation as we don't have the funds to increase our technical staff for setting up and mantain a cluster of servers.

We are estimating also that this MOC will have a pike of 2000 - 3000 users logged in at the same time.

Reading about the requirements of Moodle, we are planning to host it in only 1 server with the following specifications:

• CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon E5 2620V2 [2 x (6 x 2,10 GHz)], 
  • RAM: 128 GB REG ECC RAM,
  • Storage: 4 x 3 TB 24/7-HDD, RAID 10
  • Database: Posgres
  • Moodle: 2.6 with APC

Any suggestions or recommendations will be appreciated.

Regards,

German

Average of ratings: -
In reply to German Acevedo

Re: Will this configuration handle 20K users?

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

German, are you maintaining the server yourself?

The hardware configuration looks promising, if I have to recommend it will be.

1. Separating the database on its own drives, preferably SSD in RAID-10, (even 160GB drives will suffice), whilst keeping data on standard drives on RAID-1 even, as when users log in/comment/take quizzes, its the database that gets the punishment mostly.
  2. using hardware based RAID controller with its own CPU/Cache.
  3. prefer using MySQL over Postgre, I have seen MySQL performing better, or even better go with MariaDB.
  4. if you can, consider using either "ngineX" or even better use "Litespeed" web server (Paid Web Servers, not free like Apache), using litespeed will increase through put dramatically without even adding in new hardware.
In reply to Usman Asar

by German Acevedo -

Hi Usman,

Thanks for taking the time to give me your advice.

The server will be hosted as a dedicated server in a Datacenter that will give us a great deal, but we can request the changes of drives as your recommendations.

Some one in the office is suggesting that we can go with 2 smaller servers, 1 for the database only, and 1 for Moodle and Moodle data.  Do you think this will help?  Which one of the servers de DB or the Moodle will need more RAM?

I will read about MariaDB as I never had used it and about Litespeed.

Regards,

German

by Usman Asar -

Hello German,

The idea of getting 2 servers is not bad, but the problem comes to keep them both UP at the same time, thats why people usually go for 2 x database and 1 web server. As if you invest in one better hardware with redundancy options intact, it would be much better solution.

Another possibility would be going for a cloud platform, and you can upgrade/allocate resources as when needed.

so I assume its a dedicated server bought at a hosting provider? how much is it you are paying? As far as MariaDB and Litespeed are concerned, both are drop in replacements for MySQL and Apache respectively, means the SQL queries that you use in MySQL can be used in MariaDB as it is and same goes for Litespeed, all apache's commands work in Litespeed.

There is another webhost (www.digitalocean.com), they do smaller scale cloud nodes, what you can as well do is, get a bigger node for web-server and moodle data, and 2 smaller nodes for MySQL (say 1 core + 1GB RAM), there could be plenty other options available with plenty other hosting providers, all that depends on your situation if you are doing co-location (means your hardware and hosting provider's network/UPS etc) as I type, I am not fully aware of your exact path in terms of hosting provider and the money you are spending, therefore I still need some more info in terms of what I can exactly suggest.

This moodle.org (as of 2009) webserver was based on 2 x Quad Xeons (4 cores), 2 x 146GB SAS in RAID-1 with Hardware RAID Controller and 8 GB RAM & Database server was based on 1 x Quad Xeon (4 cores), 3 x SAS Drives in RAID-5, 8 GB RAM.

You have 5 times better CPU and option of SSD drives, I believe with you even 64GB RAM will be enough.

In reply to Usman Asar

by German Acevedo -

Hi Usman,

We have modificated the initial configuration adding 2 x 256 GB SSD and with this addition we have an estimated Euro 215.00/month with 1 Gbps port and unlimited bandwidth.  This is hosted by a German company where we have already 2 VPS for one small Moodle installation (900 registered users) and a BigBlueButton server and had excellent uptime and performance.  If I don't break any forum rule I can post the link to this company if it can help others looking for hosting.

Again, thanks for all your support, 

Regards,

German

by Usman Asar -

Hello German,

of course you arent breaking any rules regarding posting links, as long as it isnt your product you are advertising, you can post links for assisting others, like I do all the time.

I assume it may be Hetzner you are getting your server from? as I am only aware of a good german hosting company to be Hetzner smile

so, now its additional SSD drives for Database Only? tell your hosting provider to configure the drives in such a way that they only host Databases.

In reply to Usman Asar

by German Acevedo -

Hi Usman,

If this can be of help for others, the hosting company we are using is Contabo (http://contabo.com/?show=servers).  We have only experience with VPS but can tell you that these have outstanding performance and uptime records.

Regards,

German

by Usman Asar -

Thanks for the link German,

These do look promising in terms of price being offered smile

so you went with 1000GB in RAID-4 + 256GB SSD in RAID-1 (On Database) ?

let me know how these performed in your usage, so in case if I have to get hold or recommend someone, that should be the company smile

I have just seen they are offering Graphic Card Upgrade as well, that is cool, as very very few hosting providers do that, as the Graphic Processor is way much powerful than a standard CPU, therefore for performance intensive applications, a graphic card add-in does boosts performance as they work side-by-side with the CPU performing computations.

in terms of support, what type of support you have asked from them? just on your own or managed support?

In reply to Usman Asar

by German Acevedo -

Hi Usman,

I haven't ordered the server yet.  I'm in the process of getting quotations to get the project approved, so I came here first to look for experienced advice to decide the hardware needed.  All your suggestions have been noted and will be included.

Regarding the support, I have managed my VPSs by my own.  I only had to contact support once when one of the 2 VPS went offline for about 2 hours and I couldn't even send a reboot to the VPS.  Once contacted by email the trouble was solved in less than 10 minutes. The only spot is that they only have in that support is offered from 8 am to 11 pm (UTC+1) via telephone and e-mail, and we are in Central America (UTC-6) so we have a huge difference in working hours, but in 1.5 yeard we had only 1 incident.

I hope the project will be approved soon, and promise to share here my experience to help others.

Regards,

German