Master Thesis with topic connected with Moodle

Master Thesis with topic connected with Moodle

by Alina Malina -
Number of replies: 7

Hi! I'm studying Computer Science (field of distributed programming) and looking for some good idea to create and formulate a thesis for my Master Thesis project. All bright ideas are welcome!

Thanks in advance for help.

M.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alina Malina

Re: Master Thesis with topic connected with Moodle

by Andrew Downes -

Hi Alina,

Thanks for posting here; it's great that you want to write about Moodle. Can you give me a few more details as to what the parameters are for a Computer Science master thesis? What sort of content does it have? Hopefully that'll help me and others give more informed answers. 

My personal area of interest is the new Tin Can API standard (see http://www.slideshare.net/epictalk/eln-tin-can-design-slideshare for a recent presentation on the subject). If you'd like to do some work around implementing Tin Can within Moodle I'd love to point you in the right direction. 

Of course, there's plenty of other areas you might be interested in. What interests you?

Andrew

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andrew Downes

by Alina Malina -

The main problem of Master Thesis is to formulate right thesis and then give arguments (and possibly counterarguments) to it. My thesis should describe real benefits of using Moodle in higher education. I believe there are thousands of papers telling about this benefits but I would like to find out some area that perhaps isn't yet described or seems to be described unsatisfactorily or is implemented and described but needs some changes considering present standards...

I haven't yet defined my mind about what exactly I would like to describe, I have just started my research and here is one of the place where I'm looking inspiration so I wait for your proposals..

Thanks M

In reply to Alina Malina

by dawn alderson -

Hi M,

Very tricky to advise about M level work here, not least in the fact that different countries can have different expectations about quality, standards, policy, assessment and the like.

Please do check with your supervisor before you act on anything elsewhere other than your course handbook.

In my experience lengthy description does not merit an MA award.....of course it can depend on subject, but in the main the skills set required tends to be about synthesis, evaluation, critique, being selective in your reading, applying knowledge and understanding from your reading and a small research studythat requires reading around research methods.

Although, that said, some MA degrees can tend to allow for an extended literature review, without a small project in order to inform a transfer to PhD...so the reading and groundwork inform hypothesis/Research questions for PhD. 

Whatever model/system you are working within-Tin Can is likely to lend itself to tracking and/or analytics-I could be wrong Andrew will probably know more about this than me. Thus, it might be that you will need a small project to evaluate Tin Can.  I certainly have not heard about M level work that just describes........in the UK...we have A level that does that...and in that case students are still expected to include a level of critique/evaluation in some subjects......as I say, please do ask your supervisor about these items if I have confused you (probably the case smile)

In the very least, I hope this is helpful in some way for you.

Dawn

by Alina Malina -

Tin Can API seems to be something I was looking for. Is it officially supported by SCORM?

In reply to Alina Malina

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Tin Can is effectively "SCORM the next generation" 

by Daniel Munera -

Hi Andrew,

I am a master degree student and I am really interested in Tin Can API too, I already have an idea about what I want to do, but it could be really nice if you can point me to good information about the use of Tin Can API in Moodle: what is already done and what could be interesting to do.

Best regards,

Daniel Munera Sanchez.