Is there a way to have a report of your forum posts & any related replies? Like My Blackboard Post?Moodle 2.6.2

Is there a way to have a report of your forum posts & any related replies? Like My Blackboard Post?Moodle 2.6.2

by Bonnie Mioduchoski -
Number of replies: 7

Blackboard has a great way for students to track posts across a course and see who has replied to them. Currently in Moodle I don't see any way to offer this. Students tell us often that they get confused about where to check back on their post - we have at least one forum per weekly section - and since there is no separate reply (they all get included in the digest) to your post often you miss them.

Here's what Blackboard offers:

Stay in the conversation -- the Posts tool in My Blackboard consolidates posts from all the collaborative tools (Discussion Boards, Wikis, Blogs, and Journals) from all your Courses and Organizations, so you can easily view them in one stream. Here's a site with picture details:

https://experts.missouristate.edu/display/bb9/My+Blackboard+-+Posts

Is there any way to recreate something like this in Moodle?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bonnie Mioduchoski

Re: Is there a way to have a report of your forum posts & any related replies? Like My Blackboard Post?Moodle 2.6.2

by Jason Hardin -

Do your students have forum read tracking on in their preferences? Some documentation on the profile  setting at http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/My_profile and the forum setting at http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Forum_settings#Read_tracking_for_this_forum.3F.

This will at least give the student an idea of what forums have been posted to since they last viewed the course. 

Going to the my profile page and clicking on the Forum > Posts in the navigation block will also list the posts the student has made. This is similar the Blackboard feature.

I am guessing though what you really want is more of a notification that someone has replied to the students post or discussion to help them focus on where they might want to focus their attention. To my knowledge this feature doesn't exist in Moodle. 

Re: Is there a way to have a report of your forum posts & any related replies? Like My Blackboard Post?Moodle 2.6.2

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Bonnie,

I know of a couple of ways. One, and probably easiest, is to make sure you have the Recent Activity block installed in the course and teach them how to use it. One of the things that will show up in it is forum posts. It also has a link at the top, Full report of recent activity..., which will then let them filter for participants, activites, groups, and since a particular date.

Your Blackboard example looks like an RSS feed aggregation, which you can do in Moodle. You will have to enable RSS on your forum. The setting for it will have to be enabled for the site by an admin. You can then add a Remote RSS feed block to your course. Once set properly, the posts will appear when cron runs and you can set how many shows in the block. The nice bonus for using RSS, is that you can get a RSS reader, such as SharpReader, and have it aggregate all of the forums you create without having to be logged in to Moodle at all.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Just tried it out on the Moodle 2.7 site I have set up for qa testing and I can even get the forum rss feeds on my smart phone and on my tablets. The feed even gives me a link to the site that when I click on it, it takes me to my site log in and then directly to the post that I was reading. Same capability in the SharpReader and on my phone.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Bonnie Mioduchoski -

Thanks, Jason and Al! Al, I believe you've let me check things out on your test site before. Would there be anyway for me to look at what you've done so I get a feel for it? Seeing a picture would help me (even a screenshot would be AWESOME if you're willing). Thanks so much! Great ideas.

by AL Rachels -

Hi Bonnie,

No problem. Since you are on Moodle 2.6.2, give a little while to set it up on my 2.6.2 dev site, then I will send you details on how to get to it.

by AL Rachels -

Same place as before with same passwords. Re-sent the details via Moodle message.