Drop down menus stuck

Drop down menus stuck

by Joe Boyle -
Number of replies: 4

Hi support community,

I need some help and this is my first post as a Moodle user:

Problem: Please see screen shot attachment

• while Adding/editing content under a course the visual editor no longer appears
  • Load wheel spins but does not stop
  • Cannot open drop down menus Appearance, Common module settings, Restrict access, Activity completion

Background

• Moodle v 2.6.2
  • Action taking with host- Tmp file clear, Load max file size increased, Cleared cache(bowser and moodle)
  • Not running any third party

Appreciate help 

Joe Boyle

Marquette MI

Attachment Capture.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joe Boyle

Re: Drop down menus stuck

by Joe Boyle -

Greetings all, 

Note especially to new users.  I essentially ruined my Moodle site so I can no longer add nor edit resources, nor do a new back up.  After several days of trying to get the site back in order I will most likely need to re-install Moodle and start again.  Much work is lost. 

What caused the problem- As the administrator of the site,  I assigned myself a role of student, in addition to administrator. I sense the new role took precedence and limited the access to functions administrators have. Without administrative rights I cannot get back to correct things, and I may not be able to restore a backup. 

Lessons learned

• Never assign more than one role to an administrator.  Administrators already have all privileges. 
  • If you depend on Moodle with many users relying on the LMS- set up two sites one for testing and development and one for production.

I hope this helps others to not make the same mistake.

Joe

In reply to Joe Boyle

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Joe,

I am sorry to hear what happened to your site. Do you have access to cPanel? You may be able to reverse role assignments in cPanel. I haven't done it so far.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Joe Boyle -

Thanks Hartmut,

This is an experience I do not want to repeat.  Host technicians at Ipage.com were very good, but were not able to make changes from cpanel or whm.  

After 4 days of working, I was ready to give up, but today I was able get in. There were so many things we tried.

Updated java and flash, chnaged themes, purged caches multiple times (web and moodle), adjusted settings for file sizes, reviewed Moodle options. None seemed to work.  Flailing around trying different options without a documented trail of cause and effect is not recommended.  

However- I was able to enroll new students and then promote them to administrator.  

At the remote computer a new user could log in and have all the privileges of administrator. Although when I logged in with the new un and pw the system would crash on my end but also on the remote computer. New problems started to creep in- I could not view scorm packages.  When I mentioned this to Ipage, the technician said I still have you page up and its running fine, all I changed was ??? setting that  should not have any affect.  I said can you change it back.  When he did everything started working again.   Perhaps just a coincidence.

This was about 40 -50 hours of down time.  ADMINISTRATORS IN MOODLE BEWARE: DO NOT ADD NEW ROLES TO YOUR PROFILE.  Perhaps there should be a failsafe control from doing this.

Thanks for responding.

Joe

In reply to Joe Boyle

by Bob Puffer -

Shoulda been able to go into mdl_role_assignments and remove the last record.