Is anyone moving to Moodle1.5?

Is anyone moving to Moodle1.5?

by Oksana Delgado -
Number of replies: 13
Is there anyone who is in the process of moving to Moodle 1.5? 

We are comparing 1.4 vs 1.5 on MySQL vs Postgres and looking for others to share the experience.

P.S. hope this is the right place to asksmile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Oksana Delgado

Re: Is anyone moving to Moodle1.5?

by N Hansen -
I've moved to Moodle 1.5 using MySQL. All I can say is if you have a custom theme be prepared to tear your hair out rebuilding it for a couple days.
In reply to N Hansen

by Oksana Delgado -
actually, we just decided to adopt Moodle and right know we are kinda on an intersection: should we go with 1.4 or 1.5.
so, we don't have any custom themes yetsmile

is there any other concerns?

by Michael Penney -
We're testing 1.5, plan to keep with 1.4 through our summer session and move to 1.5 for our fall session (so we'll be upgrading in mid Aug.).

Postgres vs. MySQL, I would use Postgres if your server doesn't have a UPS & backup power (PG is more tolerent of sudden power failure), and MySQL if it does (it's easier)smile.

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

we're upgrading to 1.5 next week smile

-If you're just starting to use Moodle, 1.5 has a whole range of new features, so you'll "miss out" if you install 1.4!

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Oksana Delgado -
>-If you're just starting to use Moodle, 1.5 has a whole range of new features, so you'll "miss out" if you install 1.4!
I understand it and we are looking forward to go with 1.5. however it always nice to 'follow' somebody who already using it in production systemssmile
Our University already made a decision to go with Moodle. So we are testing/researching features, modules and comparing different versions of Moodle.  The plan is to have Moodle set it up early-mid fall.

by Steve Hyndman -

I'm testing 1.5 now, but plan to stay with 1.4 through the Fall term and upgrade in Spring.

Steve

by Martín Langhoff -
We'll be migrating to 1.5 /soon/. We're damn busy with the Eduforge upgrade, which you can preview on http://ng.eduforge.org/ (will soon take over http://eduforge.org/ )

I've answered the Postgres v MySQL on the other thread, too.
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Oksana Delgado -
> I've answered the Postgres v MySQL on the other thread, too.
that was grate explanation Martinapprove
I personally prefer to use Postgres (previous experience and warm feelings to this dbsmile)
But we don't' know  who exactly is developing Postgres module for Moodle, does it have the same quality of support as MySQL (for example, I had some problems installing Moodle 1.5 on PHP5+Postgres7.4)  to evaluate (roughly) how much time we will need to contribute into customizing, updating, fixing bugs, etc

by Martín Langhoff -
> But we don't' know who exactly is developing Postgres module
> for Moodle

Everyone helps a bit, but the Catalyst team (Penny, Patrick and me), together with other interested users, keeps the Postgres layer in good shape.

I think there were a few minor issues on 1.5, make sure you test a newish 1.5+, and file any bugs that show up during install.

We develop & test against both Postgres and MySQL. We definitely use Posgres in production, and we did quite a bit of testing of 1.5 installs and upgrades... there were a few last minute changes just before 1.5 did get as much testing as we'd liked.

by Mikael Ekblom -

We just did that about one week ago. Everything seems to work just fine, though we had some problems with the html editor in IE at first, but it had a quick fix(comment out some css behavior) and after it was applied=no problems.

We are running Moodle on an GSX virtual server, version 3.1. The simulated configuration is 2003 server, IIS6,php 5.0.3,MYSQL 4.1 Easy when you can revert to older snapshots if something goes wrong. It's a faster way to do the pre-upgrade backup...smile

We have our own customized login, using Active Directory because it has to take into consideration that sometimes two users may coexist on two domains simultaneously.

At first I was afraid that the new 1.5 install would break this, but it didn't. Now I just need to make a new "home-university" theme to make faculty even happier.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If it's a straight choice, go for MySql. I rather thing the support will always be that bit better.