Quiz cheating control

Quiz cheating control

by Hajer Oualha -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

I am using Moodle 2.6. I want to be able to prevent student who attempt a timed quiz from going back to learning resource to fetch the answer of the questions, which is considered as cheating. To prevent that, I thought I may add a condition that ends the quiz attempt automatically when a student click on a another link. Is that possible?

Thanks for helping.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hajer Oualha

Re: Quiz cheating control

by Harvey Arkawy -

Going back to look up the answer is not necessarily 'cheating'.  It is known as an open book exam.

Many schools, colleges and universities permit this.  With that said, it would be difficult to do what you want to do because of the way that browsers function.  By holding down the control key and pressing a link button, the browser will open a new tab so the user can click between tabs; tab one is the exam and tab two is the resource.  What you could do is set the exam as a timed exam. Ten minutes, twenty minutes whatever.  If the student doesn't know the correct answers within the time period, the exam exits and the student either passes or doesn't.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Hajer Oualha

by Mark Hardwick -

We use Respondus Lock Down Browser.  It will not allow two browser screens open along with copy, paste or any other save functions.  You can lock a quiz until it's finished without exiting.  Nothing is a perfect solution against cheating but this helps a bunch.  It also keeps them from saving the material in digital form.  I know the arguments are they can use another device to look something up or just snap a picture of it.  We use timed quizzes, only show one question at a time, shuffle questions and answers.

There is another feature in Moodle that you can use to help, and it's in the quiz set up where you can click a browser security setting that uses some java scripting to limit what they can do.  There's also a tool called "Safe Exam Browser" that works with Moodle but I have not used it. I think it's come a long way in the last couple of years but when we started it wasn't suitable for our needs so we went with Respondus for a fee.  

In reply to Hajer Oualha

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I set up my quizzes not to ever show the correct answer.  If a student doesn't understand why they got a question wrong, they can contact me (after the quiz is over).