Elegance - No Personal Course List

Elegance - No Personal Course List

by Simon Bryan -
Number of replies: 11

Am really loving Elegance and am getting ready to relaunch the site (having linked course enrollment with our Admin system) - however have two issues, one a show stopper the other just ugly!

1. I cannot get a users list of courses to show anywhere, have added a custom link to out printing system in the Custom Menu as suggested by Julian. I get an empty menu link that takes me to the My Home page where the My Courses box is on the page but none are listed. Have Moodle 2.6 and downloaded Elegance only yesterday so assume it is also latest.

2. See screenshot, with the tiles turned on for the course display I get an ugly [[Setting ....and somehting I can't read] displayed across the Main Courses page.

Attachment 2014-04-07_1628.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Simon Bryan

Re: Elegance - No Personal Course List

by Danny Wahl -

I have the same issue - the problem is that the category numbers on your site are out of range of the settings, i.e. (1-20).  But our numbers are like 400, etc... so there's no icon and you get text.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Julian Ridden -

Danny is spot on I never thought users would want to set icons for courses with a category list so large.

I will try and look into options for this in a future release. In the meantime I would suggest turning that feature off.

Julian

In reply to Julian Ridden

by Simon Bryan -

Thanks Julian that fixed the display error on the Course page - not sure we have a huge number of categories, but happy with that.

But users still cannot see their course list???

In reply to Simon Bryan

by Simon Bryan -

OK, so it appears it is just me that can't see them. Have logged in as a couple of other users and they see the tile with the Book and when they hover it changes to the course name, while their is a normal list at the bottom of the screen.

Because I am Admin?

In reply to Simon Bryan

by Danny Wahl -

if you're not enrolled in any courses then yes that would be the cause.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Simon Bryan -

To clarify, I am an Admin and am enrolled in a number of courses

In reply to Simon Bryan

by Simon Bryan -

Not only an Admin but an idiot!!  smile

When I actually check, for an unknown reason I have been un-enrolled from the courses I was expecting to see, I re-enroll and it looks normal! So I am all ready to re-launch the site.

In reply to Simon Bryan

by Julian Ridden -

I can say from personal experience that you may be many things, but an idiot is not one of them.

Glad you worked it out though.

JR

In reply to Julian Ridden

by Danny Wahl -

Hi Julian, just to elaborate I do only want the Parent categories listed on the front, but when we set up the site we created parent/child parent/child categories as opposed to parent/parent then child/child.

So the parent categories are 1, 8, 21, 34, etc... because of sub-categories.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Carl Durose -

I had the same issue and found that if I deleted the category and recreated it, then I got the folder icon back. Luckily they were new categories so they were empty, but one could relocate the contents and just delete the folder.

I relation to getting different icons on more that 20 categories - 

I explored this and found that one can increase it as follows:

In lib.php line 105 change

foreach (range(1, 20) as $categorynumber) {

to 

foreach (range(1, 100) as $categorynumber) {

(Where 100 is the value you want to increase it to)

and on settings.php from line 1356 just increase the range as follows

'21'=>'21',
'22'=>'22',
'23'=>'23',
'24'=>'24',
'25'=>'25',
'26'=>'26',
'27'=>'27',);

(obviously I’m not going to list to 100 here)

Not sure how widely used large category icons would be, or if it’s easier for those that do require it to change the .php.

It would be handy though if one could type in the fa-{icon name} as a field, as it’s a rather long list to go through in the drop down.