Is there an embedded word processor?

Is there an embedded word processor?

by Jared Willis -
Number of replies: 6

I am a newbie (2 days) with moodle, but I have my own website and am ready for my 9th graders in the Fall.  Now, I have been searching through everything on moodle.org but I cannot find anything on an embedded word processor or embedded Powerpoint-like software.

Is there anything like that that can be used as a module?  I am trying to pre-empt any of my students from saying that they don't have word processor or Powerpoint presentation.

If there is none in downloadable modules, I will provide a link for my students to sites like abiword.com

By the way, I am running the stable moodle 1.5 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jared Willis

Re: Is there an embedded word processor?

by Jared Willis -
Now, I did find that the assignment activity allows online submission.  So, that really helps.  Now, does anyone know about a PowerPoint presentation like module or activity that is embedded or can be embedded in moodle?
In reply to Jared Willis

by Miles Berry -
Karen Stepanyan of the American University of Armenia is presenting on this at the UK MoodleMoot in August - see http://moodlemoot.org/mod/resource/view.php?id=22
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Miles Berry

by Jared Willis -
I looked at the webiste you sent me.  Looks interesting. I wonder what the format will be like and how loing it will take to develop.
In reply to Jared Willis

by Michael Penney -
Hi Jared, are you talking about having your students create powerpoint files themeselves, or are you looking for a way to deliver thema powerpoint like presentation without them having to have powerpoint (or the ppt plugin) to view it?

If the first, OpenOffice is free and has very nice suite of office tools, both for word processing and presentations, and the presentation tool even exports as flash which students can upload for assignments or you can upload for them to view. You could put it on CDs and hand it out for kids that don't have high speed connections to download it.

If you want a way to make powerpoint like presentations that require no plug-ins to view, then check out the Moodle 1.5 lesson module, in slideshow mode, that is one of the things it's for (currenty students cannot create lessons though, only teachers).
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Penney

by Jared Willis -

I usually have two or three unmotivated students who say that they cannot complete certian assignments because they don't have a PowerPoint Presentation-like program by which they can do those certain assignments.

I know open office is a nice free suite but is there something like a module that is already in Moodle that pops up and lets them make their own presentation?

Or do you know of any way to embed open office on the website

In reply to Jared Willis

by Miles Berry -
I suspect it's not likely to suit your unmotivated students, but you may be interested in the concept behind S5: see http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/
Embedding this in moodle would be technically possible, but I suspect beyond me.