scorm html5 and mobile

Re: scorm html5 and mobile

by Rudy Rocha -
Number of replies: 5

Hello Helen. 

I used Articulate for a while, but gave it up about a year ago because of the restrictions on mobile.

As far as I know, you can´t publish in Scorm and use the content on mobile devices. That´s a known restriction, and it´s informed on articulate´s website. The only way that you can use articulate content on Moodle and mobile is using Tin Can.

Consider switching to Adobe Captivate or Trivantis Lectora.

Good luck!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rudy Rocha

by Helen Moraes -

Thank you Rudy,

I put the question as Articulate support keep saying some users have been able to use scorm on mobile devices from Moodle, but, asked on that, guys from support can't really explain how they did... it's quite strange thing...

Do you suggest to pass to Captivate? Can you tell something more, if possible... ?

If nobody has more to add to discussion, the only thing left for Articulate users is to hope that Tin can can develop a little faster and that open source LSR will be a reality soon.

In reply to Helen Moraes

by Rudy Rocha -

Hello.

I gave Captivate a good try. At first I was really impressed, but after a while I gave it up. The main reason is that I´m looking for a single tool in which we can create activities both for web and mobile. And the activities range from simple instructional courses to more sophisticated gamified activities. And Adobe has several tools for these different jobs, so to get the job done we would need several tools, including some not so friendly ones (such as Adoge Gaming). And adobe Is still a bit attached to flash…

Both Articulate and Captivate claim to export in HTML5, but in my experience both these outputs are much inferior to their corresponding flash outputs in both programs. Unfortunately they are more appropriate for desktops and notebooks. To create good html5 with Adobe you would need to combine tools like Dreamweaver, Adobe Edge Animate and Adobe Reflow. And the whole idea of ‘rapid development’ just gets lost…

I want to create both mobile friendly activities and mobile apps. That is: activities to be run on the user´s browser (such as a Scorm package in an LMS or as a regular webpage) AND activities that can be converted to specific Android and IOS apps with PhoneGap.

I found that the best way to test for the quality of the HTML5 output is to publish the output to a web server and access it with an Android device, using the native browser (WebKit). Than you can have a glance of the true mobile experience of the learners. And both with Articulate and Captivate this test was a big failure. And this exactly what the app would be like if created with PhoneGap.

I still haven´t found the perfect tool for the job. Lectora has a few great advantages: it´s HTML at its core: there´s no Flash output (unless you include flash objects in the project). And it´s a much more powerful tool with many built in functions that require a lot of work in the other platforms (like a timer, recurring actions, a table of content, progress bars, etc). But it has some major drawbacks (the output is always fixed sized with absolute positioning, so it doesn´t have any responsive capabilities. Also the animations and transitions are really lame, although I´ve heard that the newer versions show improvement in this area).

There´s really no reason why an html output wouldn’t work on Scorm in mobile devices. And for us this limitation was a deal breaker, so we ditched Articulate. If you already work with the Adobe suite and you have an adobe creative cloud subscription, it might be a way to go. But if you´re looking for a single tool for desktop and mobile development, Captivate will frustrate you.

Good luck and let us know what works out for you.

Cheers

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rudy Rocha

by Helen Moraes -

Thank you Rudy for your exhaustive reply.

I think anyway I'll hold for a while, looking for some changes from Tin Can that, in my opinion, will change the way to approach mobile tracking too.

For SCORM: can you provide the way you exported and loaded articulate objects in moodle?

You did so:

- exported for LMS in Scorm 1.2, with html5 export box checked;

- loaded in Moodle as zip file using SCOM activity mod;

- simply access to this file from your mobile device?

In reply to Helen Moraes

by Rudy Rocha -

Hi Helen.

Yep, that´s how I did it. There´s really no other straightforward way to publish Scorm activities in Moodle. But it just wouldn´t work as desired, the user experience was terrible and in many cases just impossible (objects didn´t load, couldn´t turn pages...).  The problem is not the Scorm or Moodle, it’s the HTML5 output. But I haven´t tested it in a while, I believe Articulate released some major updates and perhaps there´s improvement. Do you have the latest version of Storyline?

If so, try and do the test I told you.  Publish any project in a webserver (can you do this? If not, let me know) and access the project using and Android´s native browser. See if it works. When you publish in Articulate, chose HTML5 output but make sure you DON´T choose the ‘Articulate App Viewer’ option.

Good luck!