Forum Post Ratings not Working

Forum Post Ratings not Working

by Joel Riddell -
Number of replies: 1

Hi,

I am running Moodle version 2.6.2+ and am trying to create a knowledge base using a Forum. I have created the forum and am trying to get ratings to work on posts as I think it would be a great feature for the users to be able to rate how useful the post was to them.

I have the following settings within the forum under ratings:

• Aggregate type - Average of ratings
  • Scale - 10

and under general:

• Forum type - Standard forum use for general use

I have also made sure that student is a role with permission to rate.

For some reason it still doesn't let you rate the post. At the bottom of a post it just displays "Average of ratings" with nothing next to it and in the bottom right is the usual Edit  Delete  Reply buttons. I am an administrator of Moodle but have also made myself a student of the course.

I've done some searching around and have checked out the solutions people have written. I read somewhere to check AJAX and JSON settings in the PHP settings. It says JSON is enabled and it's version 1.2.1

Any advice would be great - maybe I am overlooking a simple setting or something.

Thanks,

Joel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joel Riddell

Re: Forum Post Ratings not Working

by Eric Hagley -

Hello Joel,

One thing, there is a forum specifically devoted to issues related to forums but since you've posted here I'll try and give you an answer.

I'm presuming you want students to be able to rate posts such as we are able to do here at moodle.org. This is not a standard thing and you have to make some changes for this to be possible.

My understanding is that after you make the forum you then click on it. From the course administration menu click permissions. At the top you should see a drop down menu (Advanced role override) from which you click "student (0)". Scroll down to the "forum" section where you should see "Rate posts" as one of the options. Click on the "allow" button. Scroll all the way down and save changes. When students log on they will be able to rate each other's posts then.

If you want to add the "useful" thing, then that is an additional step. In the course, go to course admin and click "grades". From the "grader report" drop down menu, click "scales - view". Click "add a new scale". Give the scale a name and then in the scale type "Useful, Not Useful" or whatever scale you are wanting to use (From the information bubble "A scale provides a way of evaluating or grading performance in an activity. It is defined by an ordered list of values, ranging from negative to positive, separated by commas, for example "Disappointing, Not good enough, Average, Good, Very good, Excellent!"")

Save the scale. Now go back to your forum and edit the settings. In the "Ratings" section, you should see the scale you created at the second top of the drop down menu. Choose it and save the changes. Now students can give feedback to each other in this way.

Hope that answers your questions.

As the very wonderful Ken Task says "spirit of sharing".