No more Google Apps integration for 2.6?

No more Google Apps integration for 2.6?

by Isabelle Langeveld -
Number of replies: 6

Hi all,

What we want to do from Moodle is:

1. The owner writes her text in Word, or an editor that looks a lot like Word
  2. Puts it online in or by using Moodle and does not have to leave Moodle
  3. Has her team mates notified and asks them for feedback from the document and not in a separate message
  4. Team mate opens the document from Moodle and places comments sticking them on the relevant sentence or edits the text directly if she is our partner (In our team we divided blocks to work on. Pairs have adopted blocks. If you are in a pair you can edit, if not you can place comments. Comments can be replied to)
  5. It is saved automatically. If someone else is edited at the same time these changes are saved as well
  6. Owner and other team members get a notification when comments have been made
  7. When all is finished export a non code-cluttered text file to where ever you need it (Collaborating students make products in a learning process that are used in the workplace and will be uploaded to their organisation digital workspace.)

This sounds a bit like sharing a Google Doc…

But how can we do this without leaving Moodle and without all logging into a Google account? (Now I just share a link to the document on my Drive in Moodle.

I see the pages about Moodle and Google apps integration are deleted. Is this no longer maintained? Would this be what I need?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Isabelle Langeveld

Re: No more Google Apps integration for 2.6?

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Isabelle,

The nearest thing I know of to Google Word is Etherpad. There's an integration plugin for Moodle here: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_etherpad When you install it, it's initially connected to a public instance of Etherpad but you shouldn't use that for your own learners' and teachers' work; either install your own Etherpad on your server or find a 3rd party service provider.

There's also this one that doesn't require a server client like Etherpad but I've found it a bit buggy and doesn't update quickly enough: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=assignment_rtcollaboration

I remember that in Moodle 1.9, you could set the submissions to inline text and then teachers could edit and comment on a copy of the submitted text. It doesn't look like that'd work in the same way in Moodle 2.6.

I hope this helps! smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Rob Johnson -

There is a 2.6 Moodle/Google Apps integration at:

http://www.moodleinschools.org.nz/download

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Isabelle Langeveld -

Hi,

Thank you for sharing this link with me. I browsed the website to find more on the Google/Moodle integration. I watched this video about using Google Docs as a repository:

http://www.moodleinschools.org.nz/screencast/add-google-doc-course-0

Above it says explicitly: "This takes a copy of the document, which means that subsequent changes to the Google version will not be reflected in the Moodle copy." 

I wonder if this is correct. Does Moodle make a copy, or does it only use a link? If the link stays the same, but I change the document in Google, then I would see a new version of the document if I click on the link from Moodle, would'nt I?

Is the use of Google as a repository all there is to the MoodleGoogle integration?

by Isabelle Langeveld -

Reply to myself: I tried this out, created a document in my Google Drive which I have set up as a repo for my Moodle site. And indeed it makes a copy and you open the document in software on your own computer. Funny enough it opens as an rtf document and not as Word.

So this method is not useful if you want to cooperate in Moodle on a document. You can only use it to make docs available.

Linking to the document DOES work because then everybody edits in Google...

by Graham Bowman -

I created a copy of the Google Docs repository (as it was called then) and edited it to only provide a link to the document. To be honest I haven't used it much, instead ask students to share and paste the link into a text based assignment. 

If you want it I can share the edited repository but I'm away at the moment so might be a few days. 

by John Andrewartha -

If you want to do a collaborative document, where changes are reflected in near real time, have a look at etherpad there is a plugin I  think.