Data Source

Data Source

by Philipp Myrialius -
Number of replies: 7

Hey everyone,

I am a freshman in the forum. I would like to ask you guys what kinds of data are available in the moodle which would be used for analysis?

Regards,

Myrialius

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Philipp Myrialius

Re: Data Source

by Philipp Myrialius -

No idea?

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There is lots of data in Moodle (somewhat more than 400 tables of it, depending on what 3rd-party addons you have installed). You could probably spend time analysing any of it that you liked, depending on what you were trying to extract from it.

It would be helpful if you indicated something about the rough area of analysis you were wanting to perform (I'm guessing that mdl_log might be a table to look at as a starting point).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Davo Smith

by Philipp Myrialius -

Hey Davo,

many thanks for your answer. Do you know how and where could I get a list of all Moodle tables and their descriptions so that I could take an overview of it?

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You could try installing Moodle, then using PHPMyAdmin / adminer to view the list of tables.

Or you could try searching for 'Moodle database schema' and you'll find a few (mostly out of date) helpful links.

In reply to Davo Smith

by Philipp Myrialius -

Hey Davo,

I really appreciate your help. I have already got the list of all tables. But there is another issue, that is, I would like to analyze anonlymized data in avoidance of privacy violation. Do you know there is a way to anonymize the data in moodle?

Kind  regards,

Philipp

by Philipp Myrialius -

Any ideas?

by Davo Smith -

If you want to anonymise data you are extracting from the Moodle database, then, surely, the easiest method is to simply not look in mdl_user?

As long as you leave out the userids from the final report, it would be hard to map the data back to the original users  (but not impossible, if you looked at the forum posts, for example).