Students collaborating to create a book

Students collaborating to create a book

by Marisa Hoad -
Number of replies: 11

Hi,

Are students able to collaborate to create a book in Moodle, or is it just a teacher who can do this? If possible, how can I do this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marisa Hoad

Re: Students collaborating to create a book

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

According to the Book FAQ students should not be allowed to edit books as it causes a serious security issue. However, you could allow them to edit a wiki if that helps and then you as the teacher could paste their final content into a book?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Derek Chirnside -

I did not know this Mary.

Do you have any idea what this means?  Is there a tracker item to fix this?

Is here the same issue with a Page resource?

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Derek - you can give students permissions to edit a book by allowing the Capabilities/mod/book:edit capability for the role of student. However, if you go through the history of the Books FAQ page you will see that Petr Skodak (who I think made the book) was very anxious to point out that this should not be done. I'm guessing it is because untrustworthy students might try to inject code in that  might break the pages

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Zabelle Motte -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hello Mary,

We try to enable students to edit some precise book in one course.

As an administrator, we succeed to modify role permission of students on a precise book in a defined course.

But teacher may not do that.

Any idea on how to enable teacher to enable student to edit some precise book in his course ?

Thanks in advance.

Zabelle

In reply to Zabelle Motte

by Zabelle Motte -

It seems it has something to view with the fact teachers have safeoverride permission, and not override permission.

https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Override_permissions#Overriding_permissions_for_selected_students

We plan to create a new role like "Writer" based on student role and with permission to edit book chapters.

With great thanks for the Moodle forum dynamic,

Zabelle
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Zabelle Motte

by Mary Cooch -

Glad you have resolved it and apologies for not noticing your post before. Also, do bear in mind the warning by the Book creator about allowing students to collaborate on  a book - Book FAQ

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Zabelle Motte -

Thanks for the recommandation. But it would be a good idea to make book secured as wiki for student submissions.

In our institution, several teacher make student work on the course handout and make it become an open education ressource.
The best Moodle tool to make such work is book.
In wikis there is a difficulty for everybody to manage structure.

For book to be complete, it would also be a good idea to enable pdf export for book.

For the moment, the "Writer student" role satisfies us. Only teachers that want their student to edit book are encouraged to use it, while modifying the self-enrolment method for giving the default "Writer student" role in their course.

This is a small gap wink

Kisses

Zabelle

In reply to Marisa Hoad

by Gerard Swan -

Hi Marisa

I realise this isn't an answer to your question but was prompted to share because I was theorising about a similar scenario and this is where I got to in my thinking.

I'm in the middle of setting up a Moodle Course and am considering methods of interactivity for participants.  

I've gone down the route of using two Major Components.  Moodle and Google Apps for Education (free to education programmes in some parts of the world). Although I haven't tried it yet I've been researching the different tools available in each component.  Google Docs via shares in Google Drive allows for live /real time collaboration on documents.  The outcome may be similar to using a Wiki (not greatly familiar with that tool).  The Google Apps for Education gives me control over a set number of Google Accounts which I will set up for tutors and participants (with email redirect).  

Although a little labour intensive at the start I am able to (manually) create a key folder share for each that when participants take over their accounts, they will have access to.  Within that key folder anything that I create they will see.  I can also give read write capability to one or more sub folders.  So for example, key texts that may be updated along the way I allow folk to view but not edit.

Users can be grouped and permissions and levels of editing or viewing can be added or removed for groups as well as individuals.  eg a group for tutors, a group for participants, a group for the examining board.  If a folder is made available to a group it becomes visible to those users, otherwise it remains hidden.  Same with documents.

I found it all fairly straight forward to set up and think it will make a nice partner with Moodle.

I understand there is direct linking capability between the two as well and I plan to have consistency of login for both, for each user.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gerard Swan

by Marisa Hoad -

Hi Gerard,

That is a great suggestion. I do use Google Docs but hadn't thought of applying it to this situation with students. It is very flexible in its sharing capabilities. The fact that there is potential for a direct link to Moodle is also appealing.

I am trying to set up more collaborative activities for students and thought that creating a book would be something a little different.

Many thanks,

Marisa

In reply to Marisa Hoad

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

We use this: http://ebook.dearbornschools.org/

It is a wordpress site that is integrated with Moodle courses.  All students can contribute to the group and then the teacher can arrange and export ePub and Mobi ebook formats.

More on it here:  http://webmaster.dearbornschools.org/2013/10/18/pressbooks-and-moodle-integration/

I built it when one of our teachers had the same question you did.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Marisa Hoad -

Hi Chris,

Thank you. I will have a look at that.

Marisa