Theme development

Theme development

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you ever wondered how much effort and time goes into making a Moodle theme?  Well, about a year ago I posted some video renders of Moodle and course format development using 'Gource' -> https://code.google.com/p/gource/, so today I decided to create some renders on themes I've contributed to (main credit goes to the key developers) and made.

They demonstrate the time, effort and collaboration that goes into making a theme through a time lapse render of the source code repository commit log.  This records changes and by whom to a project.

Elegance theme:

Essential theme:

My own Shoelace theme:

And finally, their parent, Bootstrap:

Cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Theme development

by Julian Ridden -

Those are great! Thanks for sharing Gareth.

Great to see how community development works in a visualised form.

Julian

In reply to Julian Ridden

by Rodney Wolford -

Hello Gareth,

I watched the essential rendering several times. It has a wonderful dynamic appearance. But I wonder what it actually shows. I see Julian bounding about, unfixed in position. And I see Gareth streaking in and out very quickly. I seem to have missed Mary completely, but I know her contributions were many. So my questions would be two, or three:

1) Wouldn't it be better to have a row, say on screen left, that was static and represented contributors, that would fade in and out with rays directed toward development, rather than have the "rotational" view where developers revolve around their creations?

2) Is it even possible to have such a rendering or is what can be done totally software dependent, and thus biased by the software POV? and

3) What do you draw from the dynamic animation that impresses you? After watching five times I do not see anything that represents order or Meliorism. It just seems like a random linear progression, more like the "drunken walk" of Stephen J. Gould (aka random walk).

This is not a criticism. It just gives me a different view of development with more of a "random than intentional" quality to it. What do you think? Is that what actually happens or am I missing something?

Rod

In reply to Rodney Wolford

by Julian Ridden -

Sadly Mary does not show as she has not contributed directly to the codebase. That being said, her bug fixing on the forums is incredible and many of her fixes have ben added by myself over various releases. 

Julian

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rodney Wolford

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The reason that I am not on this is that I don't contribute directly with any of those themes, I just offer the odd fix or suggestion...and nothing more. However, telling people how to fix it themselves is different but that is not monitored.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Not monitored in the graphics that Gareth put together about the actual code development - but massively appreciated across the whole community Mary!

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Bas Brands -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers

Lol! I love the bits when there is suddenly an explosion of activity. I guess we are at one of those explosion bits right now.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)