Edit message for restricted quiz.

Edit message for restricted quiz.

Napisane przez: Mercedes Delgado ()
Liczba odpowiedzi: 15

Hi I am working with Moodle 2.5 and I want to edit the message the students see when the click on a link to a hidden quiz ( orphaned). Those quizes are restricted, they have conditions so when they click on the links they see the standard message " sorry, this activity is hidden.What I want to do is show them a personalized message depending on the link the click on.

For example something like: "Sorry to access this test you need the badge called XX," so they know why they can not access to a certain link.

Thank you very much for your help.

Mercedes

W odpowiedzi na Mercedes Delgado

Re: Edit message for restricted quiz.

Napisane przez: Emma Richardson ()
Obraz Documentation writers Obraz Particularly helpful Moodlers Obraz Plugin developers

There is a setting in the Conditional Access that will show the quiz greyed out with the restriction listed.  You should not need to hide the quiz with conditional settings enabled.

W odpowiedzi na Emma Richardson

Hi Emma, thank you for the reply, but I have  the quizes hidden on purpose, since I am using an interactive menu (following a game like appearance). The students move from one level to the next by passing the tests. 

So since they don´t know what they have to do to pass levels, I want to offer some little information once they have clicked on one level.

Thanks

Mercedes

Napisane przez: Mary Cooch ()
Obraz Documentation writers Obraz Moodle HQ Obraz Particularly helpful Moodlers Obraz Testers Obraz Translators

Well your quizzes should not be hidden (ie with the eye icon closed) They should be in a section at the bottom of your course - you then copy and paste the link higher up and reduce your course page by one section. If they are "orphaned" then they are still available via a link for students to see. They only get the "sorry this is hidden" message if you have actually hidden with the icon the quiz.

Obraz Documentation writers Obraz Particularly helpful Moodlers Obraz Plugin developers

Have you looked at the options in the conditional settings - you can set it where the quiz is totally hidden until the prerequisites have been fulfilled..

Hi Emma, thank you for the quick reply, but I have made sure the quizes are in the last section of the course orphaned and not hidden.

But still when I try as a student any  link  for the quizes (with restrictions )on the orphaned section, the same message appear. Sorry it´s hidden.

The first link wich is the first of the quizes too, has not restrictions at all and it works, when I click on the icon it takes me to the quiz ( orphaned too), but if I add a restriction it tells me that is hidden. 

I have checked this line in permissions for students, about the possibility for students to view the hidden activities and I have it as inherit. I do not if I had to change this setting or maybe another similar.....

Activities
View hidden activitiesmoodle/course:viewhiddenactivities Inherit (Not set) Allow Prevent Prohibit    

Thanks agains.

Mercedes

Well, in fact I have tried to give permission to students to see hidden activities but then there are no restrictions at all, they could start the quiz without finishing first the previous steps planned, so I do not what to do with the orphaned quizes so they could work with restrictions too.

Thank you

Mercedes

I guess I must not understand what you are trying to accomplish.  It seems to me that if you set up conditional activities correctly, you have no need to hide or orphan anything.  The restrictions will take care of that for you.  

Obraz Documentation writers Obraz Moodle HQ Obraz Particularly helpful Moodlers Obraz Testers Obraz Translators

Yes- following Emma to say I am not too sure now why you have got them as  orphaned - if you set up conditional activities then they don't need to be orphaned.

W odpowiedzi na Mary Cooch

Napisane przez: Rodney Wolford ()

Reading between the lines, I think that what he actually wants to do is change the message that is seen beneath the grayed out quiz. He says, "I am working with Moodle 2.5 and I want to edit the message the students see when the click on a link to a hidden quiz ( orphaned)"

For example in one of our courses we see the following three lessons:

• Lesson 2. Topic selection. Page
    Not available until the activity Lesson 1. Category selection. is marked complete.

• Lesson 3. Lesson selection.
    Not available until the activity Lesson 2. Category selection. is marked complete.

Lessons 2 and 3 are not yet available. I think what he wants is to control the "not available ..." lines to make them something that is more in line with the game like nature of what he is creating. Now he may want to do that with an orphan or using the alternative conditionals you proposed, but either way it seems to be "changing the message" on which he is focused.

Now I know this yui generated text must be somewhere and be able to be controlled somehow, for example, the grayed out Lesson 2 has the following <div> associated with it.

<div id="yui_3_13_0_3_1396213560753_202" class="availabilityinfo">Not available until the activity <strong id="yui_3_13_0_2_1396213560753_13">Lesson 1. Category selection.</strong> is marked complete.</div>

But I have no idea how he would access its associated language in the yui library. This is actually something I'd like to know too!

Rod

W odpowiedzi na Rodney Wolford

But he wants it to say what it would say if he set it that way in the restrictions.  His is telling students that it is hidden.  If he stops hiding it and uses conditional settings and restrictions, it will do what he wants.....if I am right in my thought of what he wants!

Napisane przez: Rodney Wolford ()

Maybe. But I still think he wants to change the message. And it is the message that he can't control. Notice, I am using the format you suggest in my example. But I have no idea how to control what is said in the yui output.

W odpowiedzi na Rodney Wolford

Hello both, let me explain better what I want to accomplish:

In my course I have some public and non-restricted quizzes which offer the student the possibility of earning badges. So far so good. But since I have discovered the orphaned activities, I wanted to add a bit of extra “gamification”, by adding some icons,...... either by a menu using a table, or using single icons scattered along the lessons to make the whole thing more interesting.

With this I want to add a surprise effect, so the students click on those new elements but without knowing exactly what is going on until they click on it.  And then is when comes my need of adding a personalized message, to offer some info about the activity behind the icon.

The activities behind those icons are in the orphaned section, but not hidden. They have restrictions, so is more a game of conquering icons to get the next one.

But right now, the activities on the orphaned section, with restrictions, are not working well, since from a student point of view when I click on those icons the message is that the activity is hidden.

So my problems are basically two: first of all why the orphaned quiz which is visible appears to be hidden for the student. Second how can I add a personalized message when someone clicks on the icon for the orphaned activity saying that has some restrictions.

Remember that in the visible section I only place an icon ( link) to the orphaned activities, so the students do not see the greyed message of the restricted quizzes.

I want to thank you both for the interest and by the way I am a woman uśmiech

Mercedes

First, sorry for referring to you as a man!!   Did not even look at the name - just the posts!!

Your explanation helps a lot - this is what I would do to achieve what (I now think!) you want.

I would use the restrictions to just make the icon appear when  you need it to - for example, student completes activity three and then the icon shows up.  Have the icon link to a label which explains the process for reaching the quiz and then make the quiz appearance conditional upon whatever they need to do to get it to appear.  You could make the needed activity appearance conditional on them viewing the label.

Hi Emma, thanks that´s one idea I had in mind, using labels for the messages but I though that maybe there was a change to avoid that extra step for the message.

But I still do not understand why the orphaned activities are available  (through the icon-link) to me as a teacher but not when I change the role to students.
Thank you again for the help!.

Mercedes

Mercedes - are  you using the one topic per page setting in your course? I recall this tracker issue a while back with an error message that reminds me of yours  MDL-39504