Grid format updated for M2.6

Grid format updated for M2.6

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi all,

You can download from: https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=5681.

This version:

1. Fix to RTL CSS thanks to Nadav Kavalerchik - https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-courseformat_grid/pull/3 being: Right align "New activity" notification image in RTL mode.
  2. Fixed missing strings in 'en' language file for 'One section per page' mode.
  3. Fixed number format on ordered lists as reported on https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=252497.
  4. Changed current selected image container to #ffc540 from #00cc00. As the latter was too 'in your face'.
  5. Added a new setting so that you can choose if you want to display the "New activity" notification image. The default is yes.
  6. Removed colour and font size attribute of icon text from styles.css.
  7. Removed redundant icons.
  8. Fixed box-sizing method for Bootstrap V3 in styles.css.
  9. Slightly shrunk grid icon outside to make better use of available space.
  10. Changed current section colour in the grid to use a box-shadow instead of a background to avoid confusion with the current selected section. This is a compromised as the latter is there for accessibility reasons and hence rationally should stand out more. This change will not be back-ported as it's not IE8 compatible, http://caniuse.com/#search=box-shadow and hence requires a version of Moodle that does not mandate it.
  11. Fixed CONTRIB-4861 - Glossary pop-ups do not display correctly.

Cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Grid format updated for M2.6

by llywelyn morgan -
Hi Gareth Thanks for the update. However something strange has happened on our upgrade (as well as to 2.6.3). I'm not sure if it is due to your block as it also effects tabtopics pages. I have copied the problem below from a post I have made on the installation forum: We had to upgrade to latest 2.6.3 (from previous 2.6 installation) after an updated block from iamlearning had a negative effect on admin login. Since the upgrade, all topics became 'hidden'. Also, every file on all course pages moved to the first topic box. It has happened on pages that use grid format and tabtopics formats (pages using topics format are unaffected). Switching to topics format does not result in files moving to their original places. It would take an enormous amount of time to move all files to their original topics so I would be extremely grateful if anyone has a possible fix for this. Cheers Llywelyn
In reply to llywelyn morgan

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Llywelyn,

The only destructive format I know of is 'Flexible sections' (https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=format_flexsections) which changes the section database information in order to make sub-sections.  Its the only format I've ever seen that has this effect after you switch to another format and there is no way back bar restoring the course from a previous backup.

All of my formats are non-destructive in this area.  They just have their own settings and operate in a 'read-only' display fashion.

What other plugins besides Grid do you have installed and a screen shot would be helpful?

Cheers,

Gareth

P.S. Do you have the code / link to the code for the iamlearning block that caused the issue please?

by llywelyn morgan -

Hi Gareth

I presumed it was not due to grid format.  The only other format plugin we use is tabtopics.

I have attached the iamlearning block, however this did not cause the error with the moving files.  After installing this block (through moodle's browser interface rather than at server level) it created an error whereby when an admin logged in, all they could see was an error message and a continue button (the continue button would refresh the page).  Other users could log in just fine.  This is why we decided we may as well upgrade to the latest version of 2.6.

It sounds like the database has been corrupted somehow.  The strange thing is that even returning to an earlier backup of the database (from before installation of iamlearning block) did not resolve things.

I wonder whether updating to 2.7 might solve the problem, although I doubt it very much.  

I certainly won't be updating via the browser again.  smile

Llywelyn

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks Llyweln,

I'll look as soon as I can.  With developer level debugging are there any error messages?

Cheers,

Gareth

by llywelyn morgan -

Update:

I have just reattempted the upgrade with the core 2.6.3 files (without adding plugin folders including course formats).

After installation, when I enter a course (which is supposed to use grid or tabtopics) it opens on the 'adding a new forum' page!

The following debugging message is displayed:

Format plugin format_tabtopics is not found. Using default format_singleactivity

• line 118 of \course\format\lib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 179 of \course\format\lib.php: call to format_base::get_format_or_default()
  • line 35 of \course\format\lib.php: call to format_base::instance()
  • line 900 of \lib\pagelib.php: call to course_get_format()
  • line 2848 of \lib\moodlelib.php: call to moodle_page->set_course()
  • line 57 of \course\modedit.php: call to require_login()

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Llywelyn,

Oh crumbs!  Just switched to that format and it says 'When changing the existing course format to "Single activity" make sure that you removed all extra activities from the course including the "News forum". Note that sections structure may be modified.' - so will definitely muck things up.

I think you need to change the default course format to something else: Home -> Site administration -> Courses -> Course default settings or even disable / uninstall it: Home -> Site administration -> Plugins -> Course formats -> Manage course formats.

I do not believe a course format should ever break what has been set so that switching between formats leaves the structure unharmed.

Cheers,

Gareth

by llywelyn morgan -

Did they just introduce this singleactivity format as standard?

by Gareth J Barnard -

It is a core format.   I think it was M2.6 - brain frazzled as doing iMoot ATM.

by llywelyn morgan -
I think I solved the problem (thanks to your suggestion).

Tabtopics was set as site-wide default course format.  I returned it to topics format before upgrading and there didn't appear to be any errors.

Have now updated mysql and php and am testing 2.7 site which seems to be running smoothly.  Only strange thing is that when I copy the files over to the root folder (after backing up and moving the old 2.6 site), ensuring that root is also changed in config file, nothing happens when I click on a grid format topic box (ie. lightbox doesn't appear).  I know this isn't a grid format error as it works fine before I move it.

I'll carry out an actual update of the existing database in the root location instead as that should work ok.  I'm just bemused as to how the site doesn't work correctly if the files are moved.

by llywelyn morgan -

How did iMoot go?  What did you present?  I'll have to watch it.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Llywelyn,

iMoot went very well thanks smile - I did present ('My Own Moodle') and was a part of the organising team.  Still recovering!

With M2.7, are you using the version of Grid made for it?

Cheers,

Gareth

by llywelyn morgan -

Recovering in the garden with homemade lemonade I hope.  Glad it went well.  Will have to get school to pay the $90 so I can watch it (only prob is, I'm not sure my current school will pay as I'm leaving for a new e-learning position elsewhere.  might have to ask the new place!).

I am using latest version of grid format.  Have completed an update in the root folder and all is working well.  I suppose there must be some code somewhere that doesn't update root location when folders are moved which impacted on course formats.