Hotpot 'Masher' does not load.

Hotpot 'Masher' does not load.

by Stan Counsell -
Number of replies: 5

Hi, It's so long since I used the community I had almost forgotten how.

I have used 'Masher' and followed the process through to 'Build Unit' and 'Display in Browser' and to that point everything is OK.  Trying to load it into the course results in the following error message

"Sorry, the HotPot module could not detect the type of the source file: /\/Step 1 exercises.jms"

Checking back to the file and trying to open it I can only access the Masher programme (with all the component files).  I realise that this may be more appropriate for Hotpot forums but I cannot find any.

After all the time spent I am at the point of realising my objective with my first course - just this one problem to solve.

Just in case I do not have cause to come back to the community I would like to thank all those who have so kindly contributed their time and experience to helping an old novice along.

Stan Counsell

PS.  Using 2.4 on Windows 7 Ultimate

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stan Counsell

Re: Hotpot 'Masher' does not load.

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Stan,
the HotPot module for Moodle 2.x doesn't know what to do with Masher files.

Instead, you could think of Moodle 2.x replacing the Hot Potatoes Masher. You create a separate HotPot activity for each Hot Potatoes quiz, and build up your list of HotPot activities on the Moodle course page. You end up with a list of activities that students use much as they would the list of quizzes that the Masher produces.

So forget about the Masher files for the moment, and try using one of the Hot Potatoes quiz files (.jcl .jcw .jmt .jmx .jqz) as teh source file for your HotPot activity.

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Stan Counsell -

Hi Gordon,

Do you ever take time off?  You always seem to be there when people need you.

It's back to where I was.  I had built up the questions as you suggested and then decided Masher would look cleverer and more sophisticated.  More fool me.

Thanks yet again for keeping me on the straight and narrow.

Regards

Stan

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Stan,
you're welcome!

Once you have gotten used to the HotPot module, you may want to try out th TaskChain module, which treats a whole chain of HotPots, such as you have created with the Masher, as a single Moodle activity - so there is one link on the course page. I think that TaskChain can handle Masher files (both jms and html files) so you may yet have a chance to make use of your Masher file.

You are welcome to try out TaskChain on my development server:

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Stan Counsell -

Hi Gordon,

I committed the cardinal sin of not replying through the Moodle forum, apologies.  Reply below.

Hi Gordon,

Thanks, I’ll take you up on that.

Regards

Stan

Additionally: I looked at the video of your presentation to the development group regarding the precursor to TaskChain and I think I have a bit of work to do to achieve my objectives.  I'll let you know how I get on.

by Stan Counsell -

Hi Gordon,

Thanks again for your help.  I have now successfully used TaskChain. I looks good and is effective.  When I have repeated the process for the next course (2 of 6) I will revisit your 2008 video to fine tune.

I hope you wont find me presumptuous but to aid my learning I put together a couple of work instructions which others may find useful.  I find it easier to work through my rather slow cognitive process and will probably do the same for future tutorials (though I will probably NOT backtrack).

Thanks again for your help.

Stan

PS. I have copies in in Open Document format for anyone who does not have MS Word

Average of ratings: Useful (1)