moodledata folder: What kind of files are stored there?

moodledata folder: What kind of files are stored there?

by Mari Cruz García -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

This is the official documentation about what is the purpose of the /moodledata folder:

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Moodledata_directory

I would like to know what kind of files are stored in the moodledata folder in addition of modifications to language strings and users profile pictures.

The files that students submit to the Moodle assignment 2.2 activity, are they stored in /moodledata?

The feedback files that teachers upload as part of their feedback in the Moodle assignment 2.2 activity, are they kept in /moodledata?

I am asking this because I plan to upgrade from moodle 2.2-> moodle 2.3 -> moodle 2.4-> moodle 2.5

and, for the shake of speed, 

I planned to upgrade the Moodle database and the moodle core folder in a development site, which also contains a copy of the moodledata folder of my production site.

When all the upgrade is done, I planned to transfer the following items:

/moode folder upgraded from 2.2 to 2.5

database upgraded from 2.2 to 2,5

from the development site to the production site,

However, because the folder moodledata is enormous (almost 10 GB or so), I planned to keep the original moodledata of the production site, as I undertand that this folder is not involved in the upgrading process.

Am I correct or does any step of the upgrade write or modify any content/file included in the moodledata folder?

Thank you very much for your advise.

Mari Cruz

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mari Cruz García

Re: moodledata folder: What kind of files are stored there?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Short answer - all of them!

Your upgrade plan is risky. You only need one thing to change something in the moodledata/ folder during the upgrade...

10GB isn't enormous...

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mari Cruz García -

So, if I have understood you correctly, Howard, you are telling me that I should also involve moodledata in the upgrading process, in case any of the multiple upgrades changes something,

Am I correct ?

I agree that 10 GB is not big, but for that Moodle server, our partner only provides access through VPN +Remote Desktop so I cannot transfer files as easily as with a FTP application.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I would recommend that you involve moodledata, yes. 

So, how are you doing backups on that box?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mari Cruz García -

Thanks for the advise, Howard.

The backups are done by our educational partner in Kuwait.

I have requested our partner to have an FTP application to be able to transfer files easily, but I haven't received any answer yet.

by Alan Coats -

If you are interested in know exactly what files are there and you have access to the database directly (via something like phpMyAdmin or the Moodle plugin Moodle Adminer ) then try the following query:

SELECT concat(filearea,'-',component) as 'type',
date_format(from_unixtime(timecreated),'%Y-%m-%d') as 'created',
filename as 'human_filename',
contenthash as 'moodle_filename',
concat ('filedir\\',mid(contenthash,1,2),'\\',mid(contenthash,3,2),'\\') as 'path',
format((mdl_files.filesize/1024),0) as 'filesize_kb'
FROM mdl_files
order by timecreated, filesize;

Warning - this can produce a very long list but would give you an indication of what is there.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)