WebDAV and MyFiles

WebDAV and MyFiles

by Michael Penney -
Number of replies: 13

Anyone looked at this yet? Rob just pointed it out to me, and we're thinking of working it into MyFiles:

Package Information: HTTP_WebDAV_Server

http://pear.php.net/package/HTTP_WebDAV_Server

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Penney

Re: WebDAV and MyFiles

by Rob Wohleb -
This PEAR package takes a little getting used to, but works well. One nice thing about it is that it doesn't require any special PHP module other than the common XML modules.

I've successfully implemented getting file/dir properties and performing GETs against MyFiles. Still have some kinks to work out when it comes to PUTs, meta-data, and bookmarks.

In reply to Rob Wohleb

by W Page -

Hello Michael P & Rob!

Will this allow "WebDav" type behavior on a Linux or Unix box or does it still need a windows server?  Can one drag and drop files using it??

BTW, what in the dickens is PEAR?  Why is it important to know about it and what it can do?

WP1

In reply to Rob Wohleb

by Ger Tielemans -

I like the elegance of the current My Files in 1.4+: open your webbrowser and you can store and retrieve files and bookmarks: any time, any place..

Will the use of webdav not loose this any place aspect, because it asks for special tuning of the client-pc?

(Or is this built-in in the new web browsers? Then another question: how browser downwards compatible will the sideblock be?) 

Instead of that - or beside of that - I would prefer a better integration with the other "student file stores" in Moodle:

• how can I copy a file from My Files as attachments to/from:
    • a forum,
    • a eWiki-page,
    • a dkWiki-page,
    • an assignment,
    • a message in one of the email-blocks,
    • an external portfolio-page...

Maybe several versions of My Files, with a quick light 1.5 version soon smile ?

I also think about / wish to have a sideblock "make over" of Willam's Bookmark integrated in this My Files block, as a kind of mini-dashboard, having my files, my bookmarks and my todo's as donkey-ears, together in one small "window":

• The finger icon in the navigation bar (see picture)
  • a popup window with, connected to this finger and with:
    • self choosen categories (create/delete)
    • links to pages in Moodle (create/delete)
    • room for small notes for each link 
    • deadline timer, also visible in the personal part of the Calendar
  • a sideblock with the categories and the (clickable) todo-links
Attachment vraag005.gif
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Michael Penney -
Hi Ger, WebDAV is optional. You can use it and/or the standard file upload form.

In reply to Michael Penney

by Ger Tielemans -
Nice, and what about.. smile
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Rob Wohleb -
Hi Ger,

It depends on the WebDAV client you use, but usually WebDAV will just present your MyFiles file storage area as a network drive. This will make it much easier to copy/move large numbers of files to/from MyFiles. Since our WebDAV extension to MyFiles authenticates against Moodle, you'll just have to enter your Moodle username and password when conenction through WebDAV.

~Rob

In reply to Rob Wohleb

by W Page -

Hi Michael P, Rob & Ger!

Thanks for the explanations Michael P and Rob.  So therefore a student could reach files they stored two ways? (I'm actually asking a question here to find out if my understand is correct.)

• Via a direct login using username and password
  • Via Moodle after logging in. (The student would not have to login again to use the MyFiles features.)

I agree with the features indicated in Ger's post.  That is, more of a comprehensive "MyFiles" with the ability for more spontaneous (PoPUp) interactions (Including transfer of course files [maybe even site files] directly into MyFiles and the ability for shared workspaces created by the Instructor [or teaching assistant - again the roles feature not yet implemented] or Student for different Groups.

Thank you to everyone for their work with this.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Rob Wohleb -
Hi W Page,

Correct. They will see the same files either way. These two methods are interchangeable. However, logging into Moodle via a web browser will not automatically log you in via WebDAV since the browser and WebDAV are different clients. The reverse is also true.

Just think of WebDAV as a means to see your MyFiles as a network drive.

~Rob

In reply to Rob Wohleb

by Will Muenchow -
Any news on a 1.5 version?
In reply to Will Muenchow

by Rob Wohleb -
We are not sure when we'll be ready for release, but we are targeting Moodle 1.5. We are aiming to have stable code sometime this summer.

We are in the process of setting up a Sourceforge project for MyFiles. You'll be able to keep track of the project through this website.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mfilemanager/

~Rob

In reply to Rob Wohleb

by Ger Tielemans -
We want to use (and before that: promote) this my files in the upper part of our K-12 school, so we hardly can wait for the first working version smile