Detecting and Preventing Cheating

Detecting and Preventing Cheating

by Kalle Kontio -
Number of replies: 2

Greetings everyone! As I didn't find more suitable area to ask, I decided to try my luck here. So, I have a few question regarding subject above:

Is it possible to identify what parts of answer student has copy-pasted?

Is it possible to monitor what student is typing/doing on computer? e.g. see some kind of live feed of him/her typing answer to question or any kind of process he/she has made?

Is it possible to see all the edits one has done to his/her answer during test.

Is it possible to view previous versions of answer. (Moodle saves the answers each time one changes the page, right? So..) Or view answers during test after student has changed page.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kalle Kontio

Re: Detecting and Preventing Cheating

by Mark Hardwick -

We use "Respondus Lock Down Browser" to help in this area.  They also have a new program called Respondus Monitor that works with the Lock Down Browser and records the testing session. (we don't use this one).  No one system can totally prevent cheating but the lock down browser works well for us.  We also randomize questions, randomize answers, only load one question at a time, set a time limit on all quizzes and limit the number of attempts on practice quizzes.  The more open-ended questions you use vs multiple choice the harder it is to cheat and with the Lock Down Browser they cannot copy and paste answers. Period.    

Be prepared for some debate on this topic.  Not everyone see's it the same.

Mark  

In reply to Kalle Kontio

Re: Detecting and Preventing Cheating

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

There are a few plagiarism detection software options available which would let you see copy/pasted materials included in a student submission. I have personal experience with Turnitin which is very good. But there are also Crot and a few others listed in the Moodle addons databasehttps://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=35