"Essential Gourmet" - Coming Soon

"Essential Gourmet" - Coming Soon

by Julian Ridden -
Number of replies: 13

I discovered a variant of Essential online a month ago with quite a hefty price tag attached to it. While this annoyed me at first, I thought a better way to fix the issue would be to release me own.

I am putting the finishing touches to "Essential - Gourmet Edition". The theme still has the same options. In fact, proving my point, 98% of the code is untouched. I have just made a couple of changes to the header and then updated the stylesheet.

While it is not quite finished yet (still working on the slideshow and course styling), this is a heads up for those who might be thinking of purchasing the "other one" that you might wan to hold off if you can for a couple of weeks to take advantage of this release.

Ill update this thread as we get closer to release.

Julian.

P.S. I am intentionally not listing the author or links to their site as I don't even want bad publicity to be good publicity. Please don't add links to your posts either.

Attachment screenshot.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Julian Ridden

Re: "Essential Gourmet" - Coming Soon

by Danny Wahl -

the price we pay for GPL, eh?

though it might get banned as advertisement it might be a good idea to link to the "for-sale" version so this thread shows up when someone searches for themes to buy wink

by Sumanta Ghosh -

All I want to say is that you are awesome.

Thanks for improving "the best" moodle theme even more.

Really appreciate your work.

thanks,
Sumanta

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi Julian,

Indirectly, it is of course a compliment that they consider your theme to be so good. Still, it is kind of bad manners that they did not at least tip their hat to you for all the work you put into it.

We are happy users of the Essential theme (the vanilla version as it may now have to be called wink). The only issue we have with it that it is blocking site upgrades in our installation, but that is not a problem to us.

Rgrds,
Paul.

In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Julian Ridden -

Are you on the current version of Essential. I have upgraded several sites running Essential with no issues. Maybe if you start another thread you can list your issue and we can see if we can find it. You certainly should not be having one.

Julian

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi Julian,

'The issue may stem from some of the edits we made to the theme. The error message complains about not finding some side block (I do not recall exactly). When we upgrade, we just switch temporarily to another site theme and all works fine. smile

Rgrds,
Paul.

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Looks very cool Julian, have you had a look at

http://www.fvs-lernen.de/

their hover effect is awesome, are you going to bring something like that in this one too?

In reply to Usman Asar

by mark soliman -

Theme looks awesome! Any projected dates of release?

by Usman Asar -

Anxiously waiting for it Julian! when is expected date of release?

In reply to Usman Asar

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

@Usman You could take a look at it on Julian's github http://github.com/moodleman but I don't know if he has finished the work he wanted to do in it yet as he has not released it on the plugins database, so please bear in mind that this is NOT a production theme without doing some checking on it for yourself.

@Anu - no, the whole point was that they had taken Julian's original theme, made some superficial changes and were charging significant amounts for a theme that was already largely available in the community. So Julian decided to make some of those superficial changes himself and rerelease it as a modified version of the original theme.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Usman Asar -

Cheers Richard, hadnt given a thought about doing so, but just did on my production server. minor tweaking needs to be done, (font awesome missing, theme selector buttons werent available), else a well worth waiting for smile I can assume Julian must be very busy in his new place to continue work on this one.

by Anu Laitakari -

Is this a "wind up" for the sellers of the "other one", just looking at the name & pics...