Essentials 2.7 Compatability with Moodle 2.6.2?

Essentials 2.7 Compatability with Moodle 2.6.2?

by Andrew Stewart -
Number of replies: 14

Hi all, we've just upgraded to Moodle 2.6.2 (released 10th March) and it seems to have broken my Essentials 2.7 theme. I'm unable to get into the General Settings in Appearance/Themes/Essential or many of the other sections either - as I'm getting this error:

"Can not read file, either file does not exist or there are permission problems"

Is anyone else having this problem? I've tried a completely fresh install of Essentials 2.7 and I'm getting the same problem as my modified one which previously worked great on 2.6.2

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Stewart

Re: Essentials 2.7 Compatability with Moodle 2.6.2?

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

Please turn on developer level debugging, print screen the error and post here.

G

by Andrew Stewart -

Apologies, this can now be ignored - we did a couple of re-installs of both 2.6.2 and the theme and it eventually flushed whatever the problem was out!

by Andrew Stewart -

Spoke too soon! Since the update my slideshow isn't working (I hadn't noticed as only recently turned it back on). 

The slider background/left and right arrows show but nothing appears as content, nor do the little dots appear.

Are there any known issues? On Moodle 2.6.2 (stable) and latest Essential build. Code too long to paste so have uploaded the files I think it may be related to in a zip, please let me know if there are any mistakes or other files I need to post!

by Andrew Stewart -

Also, with the navbar the fill and text seem to be thrown out of alignment approx 10px to the left when it is a sub-header - see attached screenshot. And is there any way to remove the titles that appear saying the same thing as the text they hover over? (sorry for so many questions! just deadline day is rapidly approaching)

Attachment Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 14.54.34.jpg

by Andrew Stewart -

Sorry to talk to myself but further update to slideshow issue, if I remove/rename slides.css the slides appear one above another in the slideshow position - so I'm fairly certain it's a css problem. Thought it may be the z-index/background issue but doesn't seem to be. Playing with the opacity is bringing up some of the slides but all muddled 

Attachment Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 11.06.48.jpg

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

Because of the multiple errors in, what appears to be your version of Essential, my advice to you would be for you to uninstall this theme completely. See Installing add-ons#Uninstalling an add-on.

Once this is done all the settings you had for this theme will be deleted, and it is this that is important in your case, as you need a blank canvas to start over. Yes it is tedious, but if you want it to be right you have to do it right.

After this you will also need to remove that theme from your server, as it cannot normally do that because of the of server the read/write/execute permission set. It is important that you remove that theme as it sounds like it has been corrupted.

After this has been done you will need to Purge all cache. Again this step is very important!

That done you now need to get yourself a fresh copy of the Essential theme. The latest version can be found HERE

Unzip this file to your desktop and make sure you find the essential theme folder (you may have to rename this folder to 'essential' rather than the long name that it may have) inside the extracted folder, which at this point will be called something like 'moodle-theme_essential-master'.

All being well you can mow upload this 'essential' theme folder to your Moodle/theme/ directory on your server. Once that is done go to Notifications and install it by following the instructions given.

Please let me know how you get on?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Andrew Stewart -

Thanks Mary. That would explain a lot - I think somewhere two versions of Essential have merged and it's trying to call things from different places (for example the layout folder used to contain just files, in recent versions it's split into files and more within an 'includes' folder). I'm guessing my mistake will have been just deleting the theme folder thinking it would uninstall but it's kept bits of information.

I'll try starting over again now and let you know how I get on! 

by Andrew Stewart -

Not a very good start - there is no 'uninstall' link beside Essential in the plugins overview?

by Andrew Stewart -

Deleted from database table instead and seems okay - will try the fresh install now!

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

As Julian so rightly pointed out, it is the fact you had the theme selected that you cannot uninstall it, so sorry...my fault for not telling you this in the first place!

Cheers 

Mary

by Julian Ridden -

You can't uninstall it because it is active.

Select another theme first, then you will be able to uninstall.

Julian

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Laura Amorocho -
Thanks a lot Mary.. I was having the same problem, followed your instructions and Voilá! It's all working now smile
In reply to Laura Amorocho

by Mary Evans -

Great - glad to hear it!

Cheers

Mary