You are currently not assigned to a manager

You are currently not assigned to a manager

by piersante sestini -
Number of replies: 6
I am a newbie of this module, and very confused.
I did set the sessions and the roles (teacher and students, I couldn't find a manager role to assign), but if someone tries to enroll (even myself), get the message " You are currently not assigned to a manager in the system. Please contact the site administrator. !
Of course I am the administrator, but I couldn't find the answer in the documentation.

The FAQ says "Starting with the Moodle 1.9 version of the Face-to-face module, a custom field called "Manager's email" is added to the user profile page". But I don't see it in the user profile (I mean the one under site administration). Furthermore, adding the address to each student manually seems very cumbersome!

So I guess there should be another way: is there a step-by-step guide?

The only place to insert an email seems to be in the module settings "sender address", (as the sender should be the manger, I guess), but it doesn't work. There is a section "Manager emails" on the same page, but I couldn't understand those settings, particularly "Ask users for their manager's email address." confused me. Should the student set their own manager's address?

Could I be driven to some documentation that explain these issues, maybe starting from what a manager is and why should be different from the teacher?

Thanks in advance for your patience

Piersante

Average of ratings: -
In reply to piersante sestini

Re: You are currently not assigned to a manager

by Peter Swandale -

Hi Piersante

Once you setup Face2face every user will need to go into their individual user profile and enter an email address of their manager or a person who will approve their enrolment.  This is a must.

The Face2face add-on uses a two-tier approval process. The first tier is the manager. Once the user sets their managers email address, they can go to a course and enrol. Upon their enrolment an email will be sent to their manager. The email will contacin a link for the manager to login and approve the enrolment.

Once the manager has approved the enrolment, an email will be sent to the course coordinator /s. The course cordinator is anyone who has been given teacher or manager role within the course. You need to set these roles for every course. To approve the enrolment as a course coordinator, the person who has been allocated teacher or manager role for the course will log in and go to Site pages (left had side under home) and select Course coordinator approval. This is where the lis of students who have been approved to attend will show up for the course coordintor to approve to attend the course. Once the course coordinator approves the student, this completes the process.

Please remember to set your course to use the Face2face add-on. Go to the course and under Users > Enrollment methods select Enrol Approval and move that to the top of the list (select the blue arrow). I normall delete the "Self enrolment (student)" if that is on the list. If it is grey out you dont need to worry. Manaul enrolments is normally at the bottom when using the Face2face add-on.

You now need to set up your Face2face add-on by adding an activity. Go into the course, make sure editing is on and on the first topic you need to add a activity. Find the Face-to-face activity and select Add.

You must add a name. I suggest you type in the name of the course as this will show up on the 2 emails as part of the enrolment process. 

You must check the following boxes:

• Approval required.
  • Send notice to manager (confirmation message)
  • Send notice to manager (Reminder message)
  • Send notice to manager (Cancellation message)

Click on Save and return to course

Get a normal user with only student role to find the course and see is it asks you to enrol and put a justification in.

Hope this helps

Peter

In reply to Peter Swandale

by piersante sestini -
Thanks a lot. Very clear and enlighting.
The only information that was missing is that you must create an user field in the user profile and populate it with the manager email for each student, This is very different from what the FAQ say, as they suggest that the field is already there.
Not only this was not clear from the documentation, but it is cumbersome, as the default manager address is only inherited by new (or updated) users. I had to open and save all the students profiles one by one, to let them to get it (I suspect that I could have added the email address to the data user field table directly in the database, but I didn't dare to try). I find it also illogical, as the manager would usually belong to the activity rather than to the students (students might have different facetoface activities, each with a different manager), so one would expect it to be defined in the session properties, rather than globally.
Nevertheless, thanks to your note I was qickly able to put the module at work and I find it wonderful and very flexible.
I now have one more question: the confirmation email has fields for venue, room and location, which in my case are empty. Where do you set them?

thanks,
piersante

by Phil Everist -

"I now have one more question: the confirmation email has fields for venue, room and location, which in my case are empty. Where do you set them?"

They are set as added custom fields in the settings for the face to face plugin:

Site administration / Plugins / Activity modules / Face To Face

Section - Custom Session Fields 

Create a new field for each of the 3 fields

Note: I think the  short names need to be 'venue', 'location',  'room' - all lowercase. You can use capitals in the Name field.  

by John Papworth -

Hello

Where should the manager's email address field be created, and what is its short name?

TIA

John

In reply to John Papworth

by Saaid Agherdien -

Hi John

To create the manager's email address field :

Go to:

1. Site administration  / ► Users/ ► Accounts/ ► User profile fields

2. When there select   "create new profile field”

3. Complete the settings for your new field:

Common Settings:

-Short name (must be unique):    managersemail

-Name:  whatevername

-Description:  whatever .....

-Various Parameters : ...

Specific Settings

-Default value etc

When done Click on Save Changes

So the managers email must be created in the User Profile under Site administration. The shortname  = managersemail.

Hope this is helpfull.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)