Dear Moodle partners who pollute this site with irritating animated ads

Dear Moodle partners who pollute this site with irritating animated ads

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 18
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Please just stop it.

I don't know why you want to look like lame spammers, but you do, and it is annoying.

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Dear Moodle partners who pollute this site with irritating animated ads

by dawn alderson -

Tim.....needs to be followed in order........

get the bar of Green and Black's chocolate from desk drawer

find broom cupboard

sit and hide until it all ends

it has worked for me many times wink

Dawn

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ray Lawrence -

Thanks Tim.

Owing to the rotation these only come up now and again, so if anyone's missed ours please see below. (We think it's quite tasteful). smile

Average of ratings: Not very cool (4)
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Guillermo Madero -

LOL big grin

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

None of this stuff is cool at all. A friend of mine is severely dyslexic and can generally use any site unless it is animated. Anything more than minimal motion and he has to leave the site.

Personally, I believe that ADA has to start requiring an option to stop all motions with a default that can be set to off for each page.

I will admit that some pages are so active that even I cannot use them unless I take Dramamine.

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

No. the dramaic changes form dark blue to white at various times in the animation are very distracting when you are trying to read forums, and helpe other Mooders.

I suggest you take this advert off this site.

You can, of course, have the image displayed on your own computer screen while you try to get useful work done, if you find it helpful.

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Sam Thing -

I did miss this. Now I can get adblock to remove it for me. Thanks for the heads up. *ducks*

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Tim,

As it has always been, unfortunately, it is up to the users to solve each and all problems created by developers. Given that, the following articles might be of help:

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Animated-Images-in-a-Browser

http://chris.pirillo.com/how-to-disable-animated-gifs-in-chrome/

http://videogameseizures.wordpress.com/2012/02/11/stop-flash-and-animation-in-your-browser/

Average of ratings: Very cool (3)

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Blocking media types entirely is quite a drastic step to take and not acceptable to most users. How else can we enjoy stuff like: http://thecodinglove.com/ ?

And if we block Flash and GIFs, what will we have to block next? JavaScript? SVG? SMIL? CSS?

People will always find a way to be distracting, annoying, and inappropriate. It's the people who do that need blocking.

In reply to Matt Bury

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Matt,

We, as users, have a long history fighting whatever "features" (pop-up windows, tracking systems, java, xxx pages etc.) that developers or site owners use to increase their profits but that are announced as being for our own benefit.

Blocking the ones that disrupt everything? Theory vs. reality black eye

One solution is to have two browsers installed: one for normal everyday browsing, where most annoying things are blocked, and another for working.

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

In a world where we have to crawl on the floor and scratch at the roll in to the dispenser to get the toilet paper started again we certainly are not going to be able to fight this krap.

On the other hand, children, as well as adults, with learning disabilities are severely prevented from using the internet with the ease as those who do not get distracted easily.  In this case, distraction is not voluntary.  They just cannot use the web sites.

What gets my goat is that there are a lot of people actually getting paid to come up with these animations and it is nice to know that when they get to hell then they will have to use dial up instead.

I am sure that if/when the ADA comes to grips with this then there will be a lot of us who will celebrate.

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

by dawn alderson -

Hello Steve,

this is a very passionate and insightful response, tip of the hat to you.

cheers,

Dawn

by Derek Chirnside -

Darn it you guys, I hadn't noticed these before now.

Now I notice them everywhere.

-Derek

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Steve,

I couldn't agree more, but if here, at the virtual world, where one would imagine it would be easy to make life easier for people with some sort of disability, this seems a lost battle, what hope can be found at the "real" world, where almost anything is adecuately designed?

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

I think a take-away message should be to advertisers: Try not to annoy your target audience.

Clearly, flashing, spinning, scrolling, jumping, whirling objects on a screen next to text that you're trying to read are distracting (They divide reader's attention) and therefore annoying to many.

If you need scientific evidence, check out cognitive load theory related to multimodal learning - mixing modes with high levels of modal overlap and redundancy (e.g. animations and text, or video and text) actually reduces learning outcomes, memory recall, depth of understanding, etc.

I read a paper recently that found learning gains were reduced when learners used or were next to someone who used a laptop/tablet during class presentations, even when it was for note-taking. Apparently, it's more productive to use old-fashioned pen and paper.

Average of ratings: Very cool (2)
In reply to Matt Bury

by Jez H -

Well thats the point isn't, to distract you from whatever you are doing and get you to click on the add.

Being annoying is preferable to being ignored.

if animated banners did not drive clicks no one would use them.

The only metrics that matter are CTR and conversion rates.

On that note I read something a while back about people filtering out animated banners as they equate them with ads.

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Those ideas to stop animations really worked, especially on that one in the message above (-:

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Whenever trying to draw attention to an area of the website I always point to this site.  The designer has a keen eye for color, smoothly blending color tones that bedazzle the eye.  This should serve as inspiration for those who like flashy and bright colors.  

You could only dream of achieving this level of attention...

Inspirational Website for All Web Ad Designers 

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jez H -

I think its a bit ott to say they look like spammers.

The images are far less annoying (to me) than the old "have you tried a moodle partner" routine we used to see posted in help forums.

You'll be ad blind before you know it smile